Papa Poule is the newest addition to the family for chef Armand Arnal, Benjamin Sormonte and Elisa Marshall, owners of the wildly popular café and bakery, Maman. A ‘mirror’ of Maman, as Marshall describes it, Papa Poule fits comfortably on a quiet stretch of Lafayette Street between Broome and Grand. Designed with a slight masculine touch, Papa Poule serves traditional French rotisserie chicken for takeaway and delivery.

As you enter this tiny gem, you are greeted by the all-encompassing aroma of rotisserie chicken and a generally welcoming atmosphere. In front of the striking custom-designed wallpaper are rustic wooden shelves filled with an assortment of mustards, home-made pickles and decorative hens – definitely an Instagram worthy corner. However, the highlight is on the other side of the shop, slowly cooking on the rotisserie.

papa poule

Photo by Tanya Maithai

Along with the perfectly roasted chicken, a variety of sides that changes daily is offered; typical choices include herb and garlic roasted potatoes and Israeli couscous. If you’re looking for smaller portions rather than the whole chicken ($19), opt for either the quarter ($12.50) or the half chicken ($15). The sauces available to complement the chicken range from beetroot ketchup to chimichurri as well as red pepper aioli.

Although the chicken is the focus here, specials such as chicken potpie ($5) and Papa’s club sandwich ($8) are also on the changing menu for those who want a more compact meal. An interesting and unique item on the menu is the homemade chicken bone broth served in a coffee cup carrying the Papa Poule logo. This fragrant and flavorful broth is to be slowly sipped on the go and is perfect for New York’s winter chills.

What’s more is that you can also choose from a selection of delicious baked goods, such as personal-sized lemon meringue tarts and deconstructed brownies served in mini Mason jars, beautifully displayed on a wooden board. Don’t hesitate to grab some sweet treats to round off your gourmet takeaway meal at home!

Everything you need for a traditional French Rotisserie Chicken lunch or dinner at home can be found in this farmhouse style shop in the heart of Soho. There is no need to look any further than Papa Poule when planning a quiet night in or a simple gathering for friends and family.

average

Location: 189 Lafayette St (bet Broome and Grand)
Hours of Operation: Daily 11am to 8pm