As I sat munching on Cheerios at 9am on a Saturday morning, I slowly fell into a reverie. I was thinking about writing up that "where I'd rather be" post on Instagram, with a hint of simple nostalgia. Frankly put, I wouldn't trade the week in Costa Rica for anything, and it's not because they have better Cheerios there. (As a side note, the majority of their cereals are imported, so I'd highly doubt that any of their cereals is better.) Regardless, here's what I miss about Costa Rica.

Nature

Chloe He

My interest and passion lie in the wild, and I enjoy exploring the unknown much more than touring museums. Fortunately, Costa Rica has plenty of offer in that sense. I spent the week of Spring Break in Costa Rica when the weather was rather pleasant. 

water, beer
Chloe He

Monteverde is famous for its cloud forest reserve, which the government spent a tremendous effort conserving. If you like animals and nature, you would not want to miss out on the birdwatching tours. La Fortuna, on the other hand, is popular for its proximity to Arenal Volcano, waterfalls, as well as hot springs. March was in the middle of the rainy season, however, and we barely managed to catch a glimpse of the volcano.

pasture
Chloe He

FOOD

Chloe He

Most Spanish words that I learned on the trip were under the category of food. Costa Rican favorites? Gallo pinto (rice and beans), casado, patacones (fried plantains), and ceviche. Here's a homemade gallo pinto recipe in case you're craving a taste.

With fresh seasonal fruits and an abundance of seafood—you heard it—this country must've existed in my dream. You have my recommendations, and these never go wrong.

crab, lobster, shrimp, seafood
Chloe He

On a hot summer day, a little taste of ceviche (whose technical name is "marinated raw seafood") may help you with your appetite. Try making it at home and see how good you are at being a Costa Rican!

chicken
Chloe He

To top things off, don't forget to ask for salsa picante (hot sauce). It spices up any dish and is simply so amazing that we were almost tempted to bring some back.

tea
Chloe He

Surprisingly, the country is also big on foreign cuisines. In addition to the streetside sodas, which serve typical Costa Rican food, we also found delicious Argentina, American, Italian, and Mediterranean cuisines.

cheese, pumpkin
Chloe He
salad, chicken
Chloe He

Pura Vida

What Costa Rica impressed me the most, was its own way of living.

sunflower seeds, sunflower
Chloe He

It was the people's pursuit of happiness, aesthetics, simplicity, and free-will that made me jealous and sentimental. Wherever they go, they seem to have gone for the pleasure of going, rather than rushing to get somewhere they needed to be. These people are the true enjoyers of life and its various gifts.

chocolate, cream
Chloe He

Whatever you do, I hope you find time to go to Costa Rica. When you do go, remember to walk the extra mile. Climb some unknown hills. Dip your feet into the cold river. Get up at five to watch the sun rising behind layers of mountains while time seems to freeze at that particular moment. Observe the stars on a quiet night, and make an effort to count them all.

These are the moments you will forever cherish; they are what I miss about Costa Rica.