Tucked away a couple streets west from downtown State College, Crunchee Munchees made a silent opening on Wednesday, March 18th. Because there was no grand opening for the sub and fry shop, I had no idea what to expect when I decided to go grab a bite this past Saturday afternoon.

With a name like “Crunchee Munchees” and a sign with some funky characters straight out of Dragon Tales, I assumed the shop would likely cater solely to those under the influence. However, I went in completely sober and to my extreme delight, the place was awesome.

drunchies

Photo by Armin Nayak

The blue and grey walls filled with posters of the Nittany Lion scream “We Are,” which is obviously a plus for every Penn Stater, yet the atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming. The high ceilings and open kitchen make the space feel much larger than it actually is. When you walk up to the counter to order, the menu is right behind you on the wall. The open kitchen lets you see the employees actually making your sub or wrap right in front of you.

drunchies

Photo by Armin Nayak

The menu for this place is actually phenomenal. You can build your own sub, 8 in. submuncher or 12 in. submuncher, or a wrap, aka wrapattack. The best part: it’s topped with your choice of flavored chips! It was actually amazing. I had never tried that before and I’m super upset with how much time I wasted missing out on this awesome combo.

drunchies

Photo by Armin Nayak

Although the sub I got was amazing, my friend got a wrap and it was huge. There is also a “munchees” menu, most likely for those late nights out including (but not limited to): mac and cheese, onion rings, deep fried hotdogs and pickles and, best of all, fries.

drunchies

Photo by Armin Nayak

The fries were amazing (super salty, which I love) and there are over ten different flavors like “wahoo BBQ,” ranch and bacon cheddar. This place seriously has anything greasy you could ever crave.

drunchies

Photo by Armin Nayak

The only negative is that they “move at a stoner pace” (not my own words, I promise). Although this is a true statement, it’s a young restaurant and great things take time. I have faith that once they get the hang of it, this place will be even better.

drunchies

Photo by Armin Nayak

The shop was proudly created by a PSU alum who had the idea of opening a shop on the west side where there are limited dining options. But living on the East side shouldn’t keep you from having a taste for yourself. Crunchee Munchee is officially on OrderUp, so you can get these good eats no matter where you are. And while I can see why people would love to go here after a night out downtown, don’t overlook it as tasty lunch option, too.

For more tasty spots in State College, check out: