Broken Coconut is a health food destination, perfect for both vegans and non-vegans alike. This trendy Greenwich village shop gives off a “tropical paradise” kind of vibe. Items on the menu range from acai bowls to poke bowls, all of which contain superfoods and rich nutrients.

Claire Wang

Because of its appealing aesthetic, healthy items, and proximity to Washington Square Park, I decided to try this place out. I have reviewed and rated a few of their popular items on the menu on a scale of one to ten, one being utterly inedible and ten being really darn good.

Claire Wang

First up is the probiotic rich vegan coconut yogurt bowl, with two variations of customized toppings. I ordered one with strawberries, shredded coconut, and tangy mango slices on top. The other bowl was topped with granola, blueberries, and banana slices.

Although I am not the biggest fan of coconut, I have to say both bowls were quite good. The toppings really gave the yogurt a nice touch of sweetness, and the coconut yogurt itself had a very thick consistency making the bowl both delicious and filling. This was probably my favorite order out of the bunch.

Rating: 8/10

Claire Wang

Next up: The Spicy Tuna Salad with tuna slices, kale, avocado, and watermelon radish. Sadly, this was a bit of a letdown. I felt like a rabbit eating the salad. There wasn’t really any flavor and the dressing was practically nonexistent, so I was basically just eating raw veggies. I will leave it on a good note though – I was pretty satisfied both mentally and physically after eating this, so that’s a plus.

Rating: 5/10

Claire Wang

The last thing we ordered was the Chili Pineapple Tuna Omakase Bowl with tuna slices, fresh avocado cubes, green onions, white rice, and three chili sauce slathered on top. In other words, the healthiest poke bowl I’ve ever tasted.

The bowl had its pros and cons, but let’s start with the cons first. The number of toppings in the toppings-to-rice ratio was lacking, and halfway through the bowl I was left with just some white rice. As for the pros, I absolutely loved the toppings. The avocado and chili sauce gave it a nice creamy consistency. Once gain, I found myself wishing there was more of it.

Rating: 7/10

Would I recommend the Broken Coconut? Yes—the setting was comfortable and most of the items I tried were satisfying. Overall, I enjoyed my experience. Would I go back? Probably, for the coconut yogurt bowl and to try some of their other sweet items on the menu. 

Check out our video to see more about this lunch spot.