When word hit about a waffle place opening on Main Street, it went viral. What college student wouldn’t want a new addition to their favorite go-to restaurants? We interviewed the owner of The Perfect Blend, Jeanne Kress, so read on to get the scoop on this delicious spot.

1. When does it open?

The most essential question of course. And the answer is…the end of May. So lucky for you kiddos staying here for Summer Session, but for the rest of us, we’ll have to prolong the wait until the Fall semester.

waffle

But don’t stress – Jeanne did mention though that by that time, her place will be perfected. Additionally, the store will be open 7 days a week from 7AM-4PM, but will potentially expand hours on weekends and will adhere to what the customers desire.

2. What’s being served?

WAFFLES. Need I say anything more? Warm, caramelized, Belgium waffles made with a cast iron in a deep honey cone pattern layered with toppings ranging from Nutella to fruit and even ice cream. Jeanne adds sugar pearls and yeast to create a dough ball instead of batter for a caramel sugar perfectness all throughout. *salivates*

Are waffles not your thang? Don’t stray away. Coffee, hot chocolate, shakes, and more are also offered. And for the gluten and/or dairy free peeps – Jeanne currently doesn’t have the equipment to make it feasible for the store to sell just yet, but hopes are high (especially since her daughter has a dairy allergy).

#SpoonTip: Jeanne’s favorite combination is a warm waffle, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, strawberries, and whipped cream.

3. Why this type of business?

Jeanne’s immediate response was that she loves coffee. She is all about exploring the taste and origin and says her life starts with a cup of coffee; it’s her meditation, prayer, time, space, and way to reflect on the day. When people asked what she wanted to do with her life, she would reply saying that she simply loves coffee therefore, she decided to go for it. But first, she thought that you could get coffee anywhere, so she needed something to stand out. When she came upon waffles, she was shocked at why she hadn’t thought of it sooner.

waffle

Photo by Charles Weatherbee

4. Favorite part of a start-up?

Jeanne said loves the energy that you get from people – that it’s contagious. She goes on to voice that Newark is the place to do it and that there are no negative responses from folks in the town.

waffle

Photo By Caroline Grew

5. Hardest part?

Finding a space that fits her needs. Jeanne wants it to be a place where you can enjoy your time whether if that is five minutes or two hours. She is bringing in local artists to decorate the spot and has a piano that is open for anyone to come play it. Jeanne wants to create a welcoming environment where it’s a beautiful experience and a home away from home. The building has two fire places and there is seating available for fifteen; including one large dining table and other comfortable furniture. Hmm…could this place be the new Central Perk?

6. Why “The Perfect Blend”?

She picked this name because she really believes in family and friends. In Lancaster, she saw a sign with the phrase: ‘The Perfect Blend of Family and Friends’. Once she saw it, she knew that was it.

waffle

Photo by Erin Grady

7. Any wise words on being an entrepreneur?

Jeanne answered this genuinely and with extreme passion – “We all make mistakes, fix it and move on. Keep plugging away, it will happen. This is a country that has set our life up to do that. There is nothing else in your way besides fear. Put fear aside and do it, then sky is the limit.”