When I wake up on Sunday mornings, one thought immediately pops into my head: brunch.

Photo by Annie Madole

A good Sunday brunch has become necessary to get me through the study day…and keep me going until next week’s brunch. With all of Ann Arbor’s options, it isn’t exactly hard to find a place serving up a massive dose of comfort food — problem is, it seems almost impossible to find a spot that doesn’t come with a long wait. Enter The Wafel Shop on East Liberty, my new gem of a brunch locale with no reservations, no long waits and no sit-down ordering.

I know what you’re thinking. No, I did not misspell the word “waffle.” Wafel is the traditional Dutch way of spelling the classic, super-tasty breakfast indulgence. And this little shop on East Liberty, not far from Main, serves up traditional and authentic “wafels” that epitomize the ones you get right on the streets of Belgium.

Let’s break down how to navigate the Wafel Shop:

Photo by Annie Madole

Step 1: Pick your wafel. Choose between the Liége wafel (dense and chewy) or the Brussels wafel (crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside). If you want a more classic option, go for the Brussels. If you’re looking for something with a little more flavor and thickness, try the Liége. Gluten free? Vegan? No problem — for a little extra, they make special wafels that cater to both those major eating restrictions.

Photo by Annie Madole

Step 2: Build your wafel. Make your own wafel masterpiece by choosing your own toppings. Plus, they have menu choices and concoctions to help you out if you’re overwhelmed by possibilities. If you’re torn, get the Flanders; strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and whipped cream all piled high on your choice of wafel. If you’re not feeling up for something sweet, savory wafels rock too. The Luxembourg — topped with fresh goat cheese, arugula and a balsamic reduction — is the perfect combination of sweet and savory to excite anyone’s palate. Another tip for newbies: try adding “biscoff” to your wafel.  Biscoff is a Speculoos spread, with the texture of peanut butter and taste of ginger cookies. It’s super-addictive and the perfect special extra to top off a sweet wafel — any way you top it, all are fresh and awesome.

Photo by Annie Madole

Step 3: Eat your little, Sunday-morning heart out. The Wafel Shop is just a short walk away from campus for a delectable breakfast or brunch that won’t break the bank. Sigh. Is it Sunday yet?

cheap

Address: 113 E. Liberty Street, Ann Arbor

Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat 8 am-10 pm, Sun 8 am-7 pm