If you are looking for a new restaurant with tasty foods to visit in Gainesville, Florida, The Original American Kitchen is worth a visit.  I recently visited this restaurant, and I enjoyed my time eating and observing the diverse decor.  With aesthetically pleasing designs all over the brick walls, The Original American Kitchen is hands down one of the most unique restaurants in town.

The Atmosphere

Kristen Smith

The Original American Kitchen, also known as "OAK GNV," is a restaurant located in the downtown area of Gainesville, Florida. This gem offers both southern comfort and modern styles together with its contemporary music  and rustic aesthetic. Pictured above, OAK GNV allows customers to choose their choice of seating. Whether it is at the bar, a traditional table, or the leather couches in the lounge area, OAK has a place for any occasion. Accommodating both large and small parties, OAK provides a comfortable and laid-back atmosphere for everyone.  

Kristen Smith

A feature that notably sets this restaurant apart from other eating establishments in its location is each corner of the restaurant has its own personality. For example, there is a wall of mirrors of all different shapes and styles. While waiting for some tasty food, customers can check out the mirrors or visit their wall decorated with colorful flowers for that "insta worthy" photo.

Kristen Smith

The Food

OAK offers a variety of appetizers, entrées, and desserts. Many of these items include fried chicken skins, shrimp and grits, and  loaded tots. During my visit, I ordered the loaded tots and fried Oreos. Once I got a taste of these two dishes, I instantly fell in love.  

Loaded Tots

Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith

Cooked to perfection, the loaded tots serve as a popular appetizer at OAK.  With a crispy outside and a soft inner core, the loaded tots are topped with cheddar cheese, bacon, chives, and a homemade sauce to complete the meal. Each bite of a loaded tot is savory as the sweetness of the homemade sauce complements the sharpness of the cheddar and the saltiness of the bacon bits. Whether you share them with friends or experience the cheesy goodness by yourself, these loaded tots are heaven in starch form.

Fried Oreos

Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith

After trying the loaded tots, the most beautiful plate of fried Oreos arrived. With this dessert, six Oreos are fried to a golden brown, decorated with a chocolate drizzle, and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The outside of the Oreo was crispy in comparison to its soft and gooey core. This item is also given to customers for free on their birthday with a bright sparkler perfect for a celebratory occasion. In all, these bite-sized sweets serve as the perfect ending to a nice meal at OAK. 

Overall Review

OAK provided an amazing dining experience from the moment I walked into the establishment.  With its unique layout and menu options, OAK lives up to its reputation as southern comfort with a modern twist. Being a nice, cozy restaurant with great food and a laid-back atmosphere, The Original American Kitchen is definitely worth a try.