What’s a better combo than salads and spoons? Okay…maybe don’t answer that.

The start of October tasted amazing at Michigan Spoon’s first community event of the year. Hungry students from all over campus piled into Salads UP to support Spoon University and to escape the out-of-nowhere cold that’s only okay because, c’mon, it’s Michigan.

event

Photo by Levi Teitel

Salads UP, a popular on-campus food spot for Michigan students, generously offered their space for us to hold the event. A thriving local enterprise, the restaurant provides hungry students with a quick and easy dining experience that is both fresh and customizable. At the event, freshman Remi Godner gushed, “I come to Salads UP 3-4 times a week. And having the Salads UP app on my phone makes it so much easier; I never even have to bring my wallet.”

At the event, Salads UP offered Spoon supporters 25% off their order, and a chance to try the specially created “Spoonful Salad” – a spring mix salad with apples, dried cranberries, roasted chicken, goat cheese crumbles and homemade candied walnuts all drizzled with a seasonal beer vinaigrette. Their famous “Maize and Bleu” salad (arugula and kale with a roasted shrimp skewer, corn, sun dried tomatoes, blue cheese, and a shallot balsamic vinaigrette) was also available, along with the rest of their delicious (and pun-filled) menu. Can I get a #kaletothevictors?

event

Photo by Levi Teitel

Salads UP doesn’t stop there, and also serves frozen yogurt and the delicious “Justin’s Peanut Butter Cups,” which are made from both organic and high-end ingredients. But who is Justin? The world may never know.

event

Photo by Levi Teitel

The night took a turn for the weird when it was time for the official Spoon Salad Eating Contest, which had only one stipulation – your salad must be eaten with a spoon. Obviously.

Brave souls Laura Stroud and Sydney Toth sat down with their assigned kale, carrot, and onion salads and awaited the competition. After searching the crowd (and streets) for a third and fourth competitor, Editorial Director Sara Estes stepped up to the plate (she secretly wanted to all along), followed by Salads UP’s very own employee, Colin.

The contestants wrung their hands and cracked their necks in anticipation, and the timer started and they were off! Colin got an early lead, forming a massive green lump in the side of his cheek. We get it though; he was saving it for later. The crowd watched anxiously, betting whether or not he would blow, while in the background Sara worried about looking “like a dinosaur.” Sara, if that was the case, dinosaurs these days are looking goooood!

event

Photo by Levi Teitel

The other competitors could not keep up, struggling to look dainty while shoving huge leaves into their faces. After a solid 5 minutes or less, the crowd went wild as Colin pushed aside his empty bowl, licked his spoon, and took a bow. Did he do it for the girls? Or does he really just love kale?

Overall the event was an amazing success, with students munching on salads and then spitting them out from laughter as Colin wiped the floor with his lame competition (no offense ladies!!).

Go Michigan Spoon, and as always, Go Blue.