Res food has a bad rep for being bland, boring, and expensive. Here at UBC, things are changing. With their recent launch of Open Kitchen and Gather dining halls, UBC Food Services is changing the game, such as their recent #meatlessmonday initiative.

Last week, UBC Executive Chef David Speight took over the Open Kitchen dining hall for a special one-day pop-up event to show off four incredible plant-based dishes worthy of a sit-down restaurant. 

Super Cozy Butternut Squash & Red Lentil Stew

Owen Yin

To anyone who lived in Res last year, the rice was perfectly cooked. Slightly coconut-y, warm and full of flavour, it was definitely our favourite out of the three. They didn’t skimp on the vegetables either, and it felt more homely than a lot of other vegan offerings you get at Open Kitchen.

Thai Coconut Quinoa Buddha Bowl

Owen Yin

The crunchy noodles on top were the best part for sure. The dressing was on the spicier side, and overall the dish was delicious. The only ingredients that stuck out were the candied pecans that we thought did not complement the dish well.

Ultimate Veggie Burger with Superfood Crunch Salad

Owen Yin

This one had an overwhelming beetroot flavour, and in our opinion, fell a bit short of our expectations. The avocado spread on top was yummy, but we couldn’t really taste the tahini sauce. If you’re vegan, it has a nice meaty taste but last year’s yam and quinoa veggie burger was tastier.

Owen Yin

Overall, it was a great experience and we’d like to thank UBC Student Housing and Hospitality Services for inviting us. Keep a lookout for future pop-up Chefs at Open Kitchen in Orchard Commons – we hear there might be another one this coming December.