Food and travel go hand in hand. One of the best ways to experience foreign culture is through sampling the unique cuisine that countries have to offer – and if you find something especially delicious, then devouring may be a better verb than sampling. Tasting your way around the world will not only please your tastebuds, but also expose you to diverse traditions and customs, leaving you feeling figuratively and literally satisfied.

travel

Photo by Sarah Strong

With almost every country offering a “specialty,” it is hard to choose which places to visit when listening to your stomach. However, at Spoon Yale, we narrowed down our favorite destinations to Italy, England, Thailand, India and of course, New Haven when we traveled around the world via our tastebuds.

Italy

travel

Photo by Sarah Strong

Our first stop was Italy, where our senses guided us in search of decadent Tiramisu. One bite of this classic Italian dessert will send your tastebuds soaring. The moist treat boasts a perfect ratio of coffee to chocolate. If you’re in the mood for a classic pick me up, then let Skappo Merkato send you to the rolling, Italian hills.

England

travel

Photo by Sarah Strong

England is basically synonymous with afternoon tea, so when in England, you must act like a Brit. Afternoon tea is the ultimate indulgence and pairs perfectly with Four Flours’ Honey Bran Cranberry Tea Bread. The bakery specializes in all-natural baked goods, which are good for you and taste good too!

India

travel

Photo courtesy of facebook.com/tikkawaygrill

Indian food packs tons of flavor and spice into every bite and leaves you coming back for more. Tikkaway offers all of the savory Indian tastes with out the heavy, greasy sauces. The fresh Indian grill consistently delivers healthy, wholesome and delicious foods that leave you dreaming of Bollywood. Spoon travelers described the chickpea and potato rice tray as light, fresh, and tasty.

Thailand

travel

Photo courtesy of thaitastenewhaven.com

There was no way we could pass up the enticing spices wafting from Thailand. When in Thailand, of course you’re going to eat Pad Thai. The traditional dish from Thai Taste plays on spicy and sweet flavors. The contrast is irresistible and left Spoonies coming back for seconds and even thirds!

New Haven

travel

Photo by Sarah Strong

Our sweet tooth lead us to our final destination, with an intense craving for an American classic: donuts. With so many variations on donuts now, it was too hard to choose just one type, but luckily, New Haven offers two unique styles: square and round. Heirloom’s hot apple cider donuts are hard to beat. Coated in brown sugar and fried to perfection, it is impossible to have just one (or two).  When drizzled with vanilla glaze, the donuts are just downright deadly.

travel

Photo by Sarah Strong

However, Tony’s Square Donuts are fierce competitor, as the unique shape creates the perfect distribution of flake to cake. If you’re in the mood for a classic old-fashioned cake donut, or an exotic cannoli donut, then Tony’s is the way to go, but either way, both Heirloom and Tony’s will help you end your gastronomical journey with a bang and a food-induced coma.

When traveling the world, let your tastebuds and stomach lead the way! It’s more fun that way.

travel

Photo by Sarah Strong