New classes, new routines, new weather. With second semester comes a whole new set of challenges. Is the New Haven winter chill making you wish you had opted to study abroad this coming semester? Fortunately for you, we’ve got you covered. Try these 12 Spoon-approved desserts in New Haven and feel like you are studying abroad without ever leaving campus.

Spain: Churros con Chocolate at Barcelona

new haven

Photo courtesy of clovereats.com

This fried-dough pastry dipped in chocolate is a Spanish classic, and often a must-have for students traveling abroad in Spain. So, close your eyes, bite into one of Barcelona’s warm, sugary churros drizzled in creamy chocolate and run with the bulls.

Italy: Tiramisu at Tarry Lodge

new haven

Photo by Jennifer Lu

Transport to the rolling hills and lush, green gardens of Tuscany with just one bite of this light and creamy traditional Italian dish.

#SpoonTip: Pair with a steaming cup of coffee or a frothy cappuccino. Buon appetito.

Thailand: Mango Sticky Rice at Thai Taste

new haven

Photo courtesy of thaitastenewhaven.com

The combination of ripe, buttery mangoes and creamy coconut milk-infused rice makes this Thai classic a mouth-watering treat. Pair with the signature orange-hued Thai iced tea for a sugary and sweet Thai experience.

India: Kheer at Sitar

new haven

Photo courtesy of sitarnewhaven.com

Enjoy a taste of India with another rice dessert called Kheer, a rice pudding blended with cardamom, raisins and nuts.

Not for you? Instead, try Gulab Jamun, another traditional dessert made up of spongy cake dumplings soaked in a rose-flavored sugar syrup.

Latin American: Tres Leches and Flan at Soul de Cuba

new haven

Photo courtesy of clovereats.com

Take a study break at Soul de Cuba and enjoy a traditional Pan de Tres Leches while listening to upbeat Cuban music. The cake is soaked in three milks – evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream – and finished with a layer of light and fluffy whipped cream.

Belgium: Belgian Waffles at Maison Mathis

new haven

Photo by Kristina Kim

Treat yourself to Maison Mathis’ freshly made to order, Belgian-inspired waffles. Each waffle is topped with a dollop of home made, fluffy whipped cream, and you can further dress it with rich Belgian chocolate sauce, New England Maple syrup, fresh strawberries or house salted caramel drizzle as pictured above.

France: Creme Brûlée at Union League Cafe

new haven

Photo courtesy of Flickr user seabamirum

Chef Jean Pierre’s rich French background makes him no fool when it comes to pleasing the masses with this quintessential French dessert. Union League’s rendition is as authentic as one you would find in a charming café in the heart of Paris.

Turkey: Baklava and Kanafeh at Istanbul Cafe

new haven

Photo courtesy of istanbulcafenewhaven.com

This middle eastern pastry is made up of layers of phyllo dough, filled with nuts and held together with syrup or honey. It’s consistency is definitely unique, but nonetheless sweet, flakey, salty and delicious.

Another Turkish dessert to try is Istanbul Cafe’s Kanafeh, a cheese pastry also soaked in a sweet sugary syrup, and topped with finely chopped pistachio.

Japan: Mochi Ice Cream at Jake’s Diggity Dogs

new haven

Photo courtesy of jakesdiggitydogs.com

It’s natural to be a little hesitant when presented with a menu that offers both Japan-inspired mochi and over 30 types of hotdogs, but there’s something special about a store daring enough to sell such a unique combination. Both the dogs and mochi are out of this world.

With the mochi, you can either stay traditional with green tea, red bean, and lychee flavors or try one of their many creative flavors, such as chocolate peanut butter, guava, tiramisu, and mint chocolate chip.

And last, but most definitely not least:

New Haven: Heirloom’s hot Apple Cider Doughnuts

new haven

Photo by Maggie Pizzo

Okay, you may not feel too international when eating this one, but a warm batch of these Caramel Apple Cider Doughnuts paired with a Vanilla creme Anglaise will leave you drooling for more, so they’re worth the mention. And they’re drizzled with a local Connecticut honey, so maybe you’ll appreciate New Haven and all it has to offer a little more after sinking your teeth into this sugary treat.