If you're like me and on a tight budget, you're stuck in the Mitten State's frigid winter grasp, unable to go on an exotic getaway. While we may not be able to get a tan, we can give our taste buds a vacation with the cuisines of the world, all without leaving the borders. Here's where to hit to travel the world without leaving Michigan.

Hamtramck

This suburb of Detroit is known for its strong Polish heritage and all the cuisine that goes along with it. Authentic pierogi, goblaki (stuffed cabbage), dill pickle soup, and more traditional fare is served up in the city's restaurants, such as the Polish Village Cafe. Take home a taste of Poland from Srodek's, which sells kielbasa, sauerkraut, soups, and more. Check out their plethora off pierogi varieties, ranging from traditional flavors to new, unique spins on the dumplings. Finish off with a stop at New Palace Bakery for chrusciki (angel wing cookies) and paczki, the famous Fat Tuesday treat.

Dearborn

Dearborn boasts the United State's highest Middle Eastern population, making this city a hub for classic Lebanese fare. Start with the best hummus and pita you'll ever taste, and sample some grape leaves, falafel, and tabouli before your main course. The chicken shawarma pita from Al Ameer Restaurant is a must, complete with tangy garlic sauce and pickles, and the kefta is also a solid meat choice. End on a sweet note at Shatila Bakery with baklava, knafeh, or any of their other traditional offerings.

Greektown

Located in the city of Detroit near Comerica Park and Ford Field, this small strip of street offers fresh and flavorful Mediterranean eats, from gyros to more upscale dishes, like the oktapodaki, marinated octopus, appetizer and lavraki dinner of a whole fish, at Santorini Estiatorio.

It's essential to begin your meal with the flaming appetizer of saganaki cheese and a yell of, "Opa!", and spankopita (spinach pie). Next, order the tender, fall-off-the-bone lamb shank, the Greek lasagna moussaka, or any other Greek specialty. Walk a few doors down to Astoria Pastry Shop for rice pudding, pistachio baskets, and walnut rolls afterward.

Frankenmuth

Known as Michigan's Little Bavaria, this charming town offers anything and everything German. A wooden clock store, a cheese shop, and various gift stores can be found. They even boast Bronner's, the world's largest Christmas store that is open year round. But what Frankenmuth is really famous for is the traditional chicken dinner, which is offered at both Zehnder's and Bavarian Inn restaurants. It comes with various traditional sides, like buttered noodles and mashed potatoes, and heavenly fried chicken; ice cream topped with a figurine rounds out the meal. But after, make sure to grab one of the over 20 flavors of fudge from Frankenmuth Fudge Kitchen before you leave, as well as fresh baked goods from Zehnder's bakery.

Mexicantown

Southwest Detroit is home to an area called Mexicantown, which has multiple restaurants offering authentic Mexican cuisine, such as Mexican Village Restaurant and Evie's Tamales. Get a taste of menudo (beef tripe soup), tortas, tacos, tamales, and more. Since it is extremely affordable to get a meal here, you're free to walk to La Gloria Bakery afterward and load up on traditional Mexican pastries and confections. Walk through with a tray and self-serve yourself some Mexican wedding cookies, flan, tres leches cake, sugar skulls, and more. Spoon Tip: churros are only $1 each.

With all these authentic and delicious offerings, you won't have to sacrifice your savings to experience the full flavors of the world. No matter what type of worldly cuisine you're craving, from Greek to Lebanese to Mexican, there is a place in the mitten state for you.