A hidden gem (wrongly) overlooked by many students, Topo’s 403 is the ultimate dining experience. With the freshest Greek food in town, I honestly can’t fathom why more people aren’t talking about Topo’s. After spending a lovely evening at Topo’s 403, I haven’t been able to stop raving about how amazing the food was, and I know you’ll have the same experience whether you’re eating at the stainless steel bar or near one of the massive cast iron fireplaces.

The History

Topo's 403

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Tucked away just two blocks from the square, Topo’s 403 is arguably the cutest restaurant in Bloomington. Dating back to the 1870s, the restaurant’s building is on the National Historic Register and has been in the Topolgus family for three generations.

Topo’s 403 first opened in August 2012 and has been thriving ever since. The owner, Stephanie, said she wanted to give the rooms a jazz age feel while maintaining the original layout of the building, which was first built as a private residence.

The Spread

Topo's 403

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Never in my life have I had such delicious food paraded in front of me as I did when I sat down for dinner at Topo’s 403. With its Greek inspired dishes and impeccable presentation, Topo’s 403 is sure to please any appetite. More importantly, the owner, Stephanie, prides herself in sourcing local meat and produce and uses only the freshest ingredients for her dishes. Because of this focus on local ingredients, the menu changes seasonally to match whatever is growing in the area.

Now to the good stuff: the food. During my visit to Topo’s 403, I tried its homemade pita bread and dips, the shrimp and feta starter, a delectable steelhead trout wrapped in grape leaves, an incredible Greek salad, the Topo’s burger, 403 fries, braised lamb and pita, and these amazing fried dough balls called Loukoumades for dessert (served with homemade salted caramel sauce, I might add).

Topo's 403

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Wowza, I ate a lot of food, but I can’t say I regret any of it. My favorite dish was easily the lamb. It was so tender I could cut through it with just my fork, and the fresh steamed vegetables accompanying it were sublime.

The Topo’s burger is the perfect mix of ground lamb and beef with their signature feta hummus spread topping it off. And the fries, oh my goodness the fries. If you love boardwalk French fries smothered in salt and vinegar, then you’ll fall head over heels for the 403 fries. First, the raw potatoes are soaked in brine, then double fried for extra crispiness and flavor.

Topo's 403

Photo by Claire Waggoner

You guys, even the Greek salad was incredible. It was served in the traditional Greek style, with a mixture of fresh vegetables like ripe tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, and hunks of fresh feta that I actually ate whole. What’s more is that this salad had no lettuce, so if you’re a staunch salad hater, give this one a try — you’ll love it.

Admittedly, I ate a lot of food, but I didn’t leave the restaurant feeling bloated or uncomfortably full. The fresh, handmade dishes were filling, but didn’t sit in my stomach, and the leftovers I munched on the next day were delightful.

#SpoonTip: If you want to eat at Topo’s 403 but are trying to save up, check out its daily deals on Hooked to get your delectable dinner for less.

When to Visit

Topo's 403

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Right now. Seriously, don’t put off visiting Topo’s 403 for a special occasion. Make Tuesday night a special occasion (don’t forget to bring your roommate along with you) and go grab a few appetizers to share with friends. While Topo’s 403 is an excellent spot to visit when the family is in town, it’s by no means a restaurant that should be visited just once a semester. Eating at Topo’s 403 really feels like you’re eating at your family’s house. Between the friendly staff and the relaxing atmosphere, this is the perfect spot to unwind after a rough day of classes.

Do yourself a favor and set a date to eat at Topo’s 403. Take a few friends along and eat until you’re stuffed, because, after all, sharing a good meal is one Greek tradition we can all get behind.