People say that the toughest part of university is the workload. Or learning how to balance everything together. Or finding yourself. But one particular university challenge is often overlooked: the sacrifice of good food for more time to do work.

Instant noodles, instant coffee, and frozen veggies once filled your stomach to the brim. I don’t need to know whether or not you ate tons of pizza during your time at Queen’s, but you know you did.

It’s time to cut back on the instant lifestyle of a student, now that you’re not a student, and celebrate your graduation with a memorable meal in one of Kingston’s top restaurants:

AquaTerra

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: dining in luxury with a soothing view of the water.

Say goodbye to the beloved waterfront, where you spent hours on the edge of the world, soul-searching.

Casa Domenico

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: feeling like a mature adult.

With Casa Domenico’s fine Italian dining and extra fine location, you’ll be feeling fine as can be.

Chez Piggy

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: pigging out in a quiet setting.

Elegant light fixtures set a comfortable atmosphere where your meal is sure to ease straight into your belly.

Copper Penny

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: the pickiest of families.

Is your sister a vegetarian? Copper Penny’s got you covered. Is your dad crazy about meat or burgers? Copper Penny’s got you covered. In the mood for a plate of pasta? Copper Penny’s got it all.

Dianne’s

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: plumping up with seafood.

It’s a dog eat dog world out there, but as of today, you’ve graduated to a shark. Immerse yourself in Dianne’s seafood medley to reward you for your new alumnus status.

Frankie Pesto’s Italian Eatery

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: a fairy tale ending.

Brown, brick walls and hanging grape vines offer a surreal atmosphere while you melt away from reality with every bite. Italian food+ a surreal atmosphere= a magical experience.

Geneva Crêpe Bistro

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: every sweet tooth.

You’ve officially graduated, so why not reward your inner child with mountains of whipped cream over crêpes lathered in nutella? Just because you’re an educated adult doesn’t mean that you can’t spoil yourself just a little. 

Jack Astors

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: bonding with strangers over food.

Embrace the busy atmosphere. Embrace those tender chicken dippers. And embrace one of Jack Astor’s heavenly cocktails to refresh yourself after a long day of reminiscing about the last few years at Queen’s.

Le chien noir

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores.

Bask in French cuisine made with fresh, local ingredients. You may not have enough money for that Grad trip to Paris that you’ve always dreamed of, but the food at Le Chien Noir is the next best thing.

Megalos

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: great service.

You’ve worked your butt off over the last few years at Queen’s, so you deserve to be treated like royalty even just for one meal. The servers will fight for you to have a great experience because they know that you’re worth more than your OSAP dept. Don’t be afraid to bring the whole family as Megalos has plenty of options for children and vegetarians.

Milestones

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: perfection.

Steak. Salmon. Magical peach bellinis that tickle the tongue. Milestones is sure to create a classy paradise for your family.

Olivea

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: a cozy, Italian-style meal in the heart of downtown Kingston.

If your commencement’s on a Tuseday, lucky you. Olivea has a Jazz night every Tuesday to help you relax while the fact that you just graduated begins to kick in. And if you graduate on any other weekday, you’re still guaranteed a satisfying meal.

Pan Chancho

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: far more than just baked goods.

Pan Chancho is a bakery-café hybrid that will leave your stomach stuffed, and your nose filled with the scent of buttery pastries. Let the smell of happiness linger on your clothes even after you leave Queen’s for good.

Sir John’s Public House

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: having the choice between a pub-like setting (on the bottom level) and a classier setting (on the upper level) in the restaurant.

Party on the ground and classy on the top: the mullet of restaurants. Why choose one when you can have both? Don’t worry, you’re not spoiled for wanting both. You’re smart. And you’ve got a degree to prove it.

Tango Nuevo Tapas and Wine

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: a laid-back atmosphere with refined food.

Let yourself be swept away by the unique blend of flavours at Tango Nuevo Tapas and Wine. The portions may be small, but boy are the tastes powerful.

The Grizzly Grill

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: large gatherings.

Don’t let the giant bear head on the outside of the restaurant scare you away. The Grizzly Grill’s got plenty of food and wine that you definitely won’t be afraid to dive into. And if you’re the sort of person who likes to live dangerously, there’s even real alligator on the menu.

The Keg

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: celebrity treatment.

A dimly lit room and top-quality food will leave you feeling rejuvenated, and ready to venture onto the next chapter of your life.

The Pilot House

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: fish lovers.

The pilot house fries up a refreshing atmosphere alongside a plate piled high with fish and chips so satisfying, that you’ll be dreaming about your meal for weeks.

Windmills

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: breakfast, lunch, tea-time and brunch.

Celebrate your journey to the American dream with an American breakfast. If you miss brunch, no worries, Windmills has a mouth-watering dinner menu too.

Woodenheads

grad

Photo by Rosalyn Gambhir

Perfect for: stuffing your face with an entire pizza in a dignified manner.

What better way to show your pizza-fueled lifestyle to your family than by celebrating with fancy pizza? And no, not the manacle and mustache kind of fancy. We’re talking ingredients that’re the prime of the prime; the brie of the cheeses; the prosciutto of the meats.

For more grad-related articles, check out these links: