No more settling for your bland granola or the hard bagel that's been in your pantry for two weeks. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, which means it should be the most delicious. Make your breakfast the reason you get out of bed in the morning with a sweet, savory, or anything in between, biscuit. Here are the top five places to find great biscuits in Raleigh; now the hard part is choosing which one to go to.  

Jubala 

The best thing about Jubala, besides the biscuits, is that it's in extremely close proximity to campus. As a popular window-lit spot for studying and various kinds of caffeine, the biscuits often go unnoticed. Yet, they come out hot, in a silvery dish, with cheddar cheese melted perfectly, spilling out onto the sides of the biscuit. A fried egg, too big for the sandwich, is layered on top. Its runny yolk makes a perfect dipping sauce for the rest of your biscuit. The maple bacon is crisp, salty and sweet- the perfect combination. The biscuit itself is fluffy, light, and sugary..."made from scratch and highly addictive". 

Tupelo Honey

Tupelo Honey has a wonderful menu, full of various southern dishes you thought only your grandma could make. But, one of their best items cannot be found on their menu. Their free appetizers are their famous buttermilk biscuits. You can smell the made-from-scratch goodness in the kitchen, long before they arrive at your table. They include their locally sourced honey, and their homemade blueberry jam, made from locally grown blueberries as well.

If you are lucky enough to have a nice waiter (all of them) and laugh at their jokes...you may score a second plate.  

Rise

Rise has an assortment of donuts, coffee, biscuits and endless toppings. It is the epitome of a make your own biscuit place. With multiple cheeses, like American, white cheddar, and even pimento, it will inevitably make your mouth water.

They also offer multiple sources of protein: bacon, country ham, fried chicken, sausage and fried bologna! For you veggie lovers, there is a fried eggplant "bacon" option. The biscuit itself is buttery and flaky, hard to keep together as a sandwich, with salt your taste buds can feel!

Rise has some of their own signature specials as well. A popular demand is their Huevos Rancheros: fried egg, pico, cheddar cheese, avocado, with a black bean spread. 

Flying Biscuit

Flying Biscuit's best quality is their simplicity. The biscuits are light and fluffy, not dense or a guilty pleasure. They are coated with a butter and sugar mixture. You can literally see the sugar on the biscuits, yet it is somehow just the right amount. While the biscuits are incredible, their natural, cranberry apple butter really sets Flying Biscuit apart. It is the kind of natural that allows you to actually taste the ingredients. There are only six: cranberries, apples, orange juice, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

#SpoonTip: Flying Biscuit is incredibly popular on the weekends. To avoid an hour long wait, arrive early. The early bird gets the biscuit! 

Big Ed's City Market

Big Ed's biscuits are made from scratch every day. They come to you fresh, steaming, piping hot from the oven. They offer country ham, city ham, country sausage patty, bologna, fat back, Cajun chicken, egg and of course, BACON! The biscuits are salty and thick, perfect for pairing with a good southern protein. Each layer of dough is thin and flaky, to make a biscuit that will melt in your mouth. 

In the biscuit world, there is something for everyone. From jams and jellies to proteins that will please both meat-lovers and vegetarians alike, there is a biscuit that is sure to satisfy whatever craving you may have. Go enjoy the fabulous biscuits at these great Raleigh restaurants!