Fall is here which means it’s time to put on your knit sweaters and drink plenty of warm, frothy drinks! I’ve compiled a list of some of the best fall beverages, in no particular order, to grab near campus so you can take a break from school, or even get some homework done. 

Yogic Chai Latte from Red Eye Café

Although it’s not necessarily a seasonally exclusive drink, I definitely associate the warm spices of cinnamon and cloves with the fall (probably because of the copious amounts of pumpkin pie that I eat). Yogic Chai is a specialty chai company in Montclair that sources real-deal organic spices and ingredients that make killer chai. In addition to having a mobile Chai truck and cart inside of Bay St.’s train station, their chai is also served at various locations around Montclair, including the Red Eye Café.

Maura Rasmusson

This is not your typical overly-sweet chai tea latte. Its minimal amount of sugar lends more flavor to the delicious spices, which can be smelled as soon as you order it. Dusted with cinnamon on top, this latte gives you a delicate energy boost and warms your belly at the same time. The Red Eye’s cozy interior makes it a great place to catch up with friends or to spend your break between classes. 

The Dusty Rose from Java Love

One of the things I love most about Java Love is that they have a menu of unique beverages created by each of the baristas there. These are drinks that you won’t find at big-name chains. Some of them are quite adventurous (think ingredients like cayenne pepper and Sriracha), whereas some of them are less crazy but equally delicious. I tried the Dusty Rose Latte which embellishes a regular pumpkin spice latte by adding rose, cardamom, and of course lots of cinnamon. I wasn’t sure what to make of the drink at first but as I tried it more, I couldn’t get enough.

Maura Rasmusson

The rose flavor is subtle and pairs really well with the typical flavors you’d expect from pumpkin spice. With two locations in Montclair, Java Love is a must stop. Not to mention you can join their rewards program which is linked with your phone number, giving you awesome deals that you wouldn’t get otherwise. Java Love is the perfect place to stop and try a unique fall-flavored drink that you’d never think of trying!

Pumpkin Pie Latte from Crazy Mocha

I’ve been really excited to try this latte ever since I saw a sign advertising it outside of the shop, and it lived up to my expectations. I ordered it with skim milk and asked for less sugar, just because I prefer my drinks on the less-sweet side. That didn't detract from the flavor in any way though, making this delicious spicy drink one of my go-to coffee recommendations for anyone in the area.  

Maura Rasmusson

Having never been there before, I was excited to not only try the special drink but also check out the interior. If you’ve never been here, you have to check it out one day. It’s spacious inside, and makes for a great place to unwind, as they play great tunes have offer delicious drinks. They also have a commuter special where you can bring your own mug and get 10% off, which is quite the steal.

Boo! Latte from the Fine Grind

Although it's not in Montclair, the Fine Grind is only about a five minute drive from campus, and it’s a great location to catch up with friends or listen to some live music. In addition to an extensive drink menu, the Fine Grind also offers a lot of baked goods, pastries, sandwiches and salads. Of course, they also offer a lot of creative and decadent drink options.  

Maura Rasmusson

Right now, they have about four or five new seasonal beverages for the fall. I went with the Boo! Latte, which was a chocolate and caramel latte topped with whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate syrup, and sprinkles. It tasted like a liquid chocolate doughnut and was definitely worth the inevitable sugar crash. 

Pumpkin Spice Latte from Trend Coffee

Last but definitely not least, Trend Coffee & Tea House offers a relaxing atmosphere with old-fashioned furniture and decor located in a house from 1860. Amidst the busyness of Montclair, Trend offers a quiet oasis and has a super friendly staff that’s always willing to answer all of questions. You can hang out there for hours, and even participate in their weekly open mic night.

Maura Rasmusson

I ordered the pumpkin spice latte, made with two shots of espresso, pumpkin syrup, and your choice of milk. They also offer a pumpkin chai beverage as well which just means that I’ll have to make another trip in the near future. 

So what are you waiting for? These fall beverages won't be around all year long, so be sure to make a stop at one of these locations or some of the other excellent local spots only a short distance from campus. Happy fall, y'all!