Studying for exams is already painful enough as it is, so why hold yourself prisoner to the same plain four walls for hours? If you're anything like me, then you like a change in scenery every once in a while and love trying new things all while being productive. As a commuter, I tend to find hidden gems near me that allow me to get work done and satisfy my taste for adventure.

This time I decided to venture out to the City of Long Beach in search of finding student friendly coffee shops. I was able to narrow it down to five that will have you planning a trip to LBC today. 

1. The Library Coffee House

A photo posted by Chris Girgis (@cgirgisnyc) on

Do not be fooled by the exterior, yes you've come to the right place: book enthusiast heaven. The Library's bookshelves, art work, and friendly staff all come together to make you feel at home and motivated enough to get to the task you have at hand. Not to mention, they have delicious homemade treats for that study break we all need five minutes in.

Wi-Fi is free, just ask for the password at the front counter and, while you're at it, try their caramel macchiato. With a consistent low noise level and plenty of tables to choose from, come check out why this place is one of my favorites.

2. The Brass Lamp

If you're really in the mood to try something radically different than your usual study space, then this place is most definitely for you. The Brass Lamp is actually more than just a coffee shop, it's a book bar. It's a combination of a bar, café, bookstore, and lounge that encourages those who come to read, write, and drink.

They are all about you doing you. To avoid interrupting your creative process, friendly staff members inform you on how to let them know when you need something by positioning your menu upward for assistance, or downward to let them know you're hard at work. No interruptions means no excuse to not ace that exam.

Best part is that you can come back when you're not studying with a group friends and enjoy live music and cold beers on a weekend night.   

3. Portfolio Coffeehouse

A photo posted by @portfoliocoffeehouse on

Worried about being that study group with too many people and not enough space? Portfolio has you covered with its large selection of seating and laidback atmosphere. Also, the beautiful arched windows give plenty of light for those of us who don't like feeling like we're trapped in a cave.

Most importantly, there are so many options for coffee. But don't feel overwhelmed, the baristas are friendly and more than happy to help narrow down your choices. Or just go crazy and try them all like me.

4. Viento y Agua

Translation: wind and water café. Now if the name hasn't already given it away, this is one of the most relaxing cafes you will most likely find hidden in Long Beach. It's a very small and intimate café that often holds art showcases and the occasional open microphone poetry night. Their amazing concept of embracing and showcasing community artists, gives this place its unique cultural theme that brings everyone together. 

Viento gives students a place to study all while displaying art and even offering a "Killer Tomato Bagel Sandwich." Do yourself a favor and check out this sweet underrated gem.

5. Steelhead Coffee

A photo posted by JS (@onlyjen19) on

Last but certainly not least, the well known local favorite. Steelhead is a small but mighty coffee shop with arguably one of the best cold brews I have ever tasted. Latte art, donuts, and prices on point. Seven dollars for coffee and a doughnut? Don't mind if I do. I recommend this place for times when you just feel like studying alone in a friendly and welcoming environment.

#SpoonTip: Best time to come on in is early in the morning so you get a larger variety in your choice of delicious warm treats and seating.

With such a large selection of coffee shops in Long Beach, it was painfully difficult for me to narrow it down to just five. So next time you happen to be in the area, visit all of these and maybe do some adventuring of your own.