For those of us who love fish, we’ve got it pretty good here in Baltimore. So who in this great city of ours makes the best sushi?

Well, we at Spoon spent some time dipping and eating our way across town to give you a glimpse at some of our top contenders. Let the good times roll.

Azumi

Sushi

Photo courtesy of Joe Sweeney

Tucked within Harbor East’s Four Seasons Hotel, Azumi is by far one of the most lavish Japanese restaurants in Baltimore. We chose rolls from a list containing several unique options in addition to some familiar offerings. Everything here is as pleasing to the eyes as the taste buds.

#SpoonTip: Sit outside for an picturesque view of the Inner Harbor.

Minato

thanks to @hollybrocker for making us absolutely drool over this sushi from Minato #spoonjhu #spoonfeed #sushi

A photo posted by Spoon University at Hopkins (@spoon_hopkins) on Oct 7, 2015 at 9:11am PDT

The space is a classic in Mount Vernon and provides a truly relaxed, contemporary atmosphere. In addition to offering daily specials, Minato has a buzzing happy hour scene that includes strong cocktails. The menu is friendly and contains many Japanese favorites in addition to signature specialty rolls. Particularly inventive house rolls use mango to bring a refreshing twist to some of the restaurant’s spicier offerings.

#SpoonTip: Go during happy hour for half-price cocktails and sushi.

Shoyou Sushi

Fish is the dish ?? article in progress #sushi #spoonfeed #baltimorefoodies #dailyfoodfeed A photo posted by Holly Brockerhoff (@hollybrocker) on Oct 8, 2015 at 6:00pm PDT

Featuring one chef (hi Bruce), this BYOB restaurant seats about 20 people and could easily be considered a local hole in the wall. While the restaurant appears to be an unassuming sushi joint, the food is freakin’ transcendent. With an extensive offering of melt-in-your-mouth fish, Shoyou satisfies every craving from traditional sashimi and maki, to creative specialty rolls (i.e. “Who’s Your Daddy”). Also offered: Sushi burritos. ‘Nuff said.

#SpoonTip: This restaurant is cash only, and the banner outside displays “Soho Eatery.” Come before 7 pm to avoid a long wait.

Matsuri

#internationalsushiday w/ my psychology woe @lizzibmore

A photo posted by nyashamc (@nyashamc) on Jun 18, 2015 at 11:06am PDT

Consistently voted a “Best Japanese Restaurant” by Baltimore Magazine, Matsuri did not disappoint. With amazing happy hour deals, it’s no wonder that this Fed Hill sushi spot is a local go-to for raw Japanese eats. While seating is limited downstairs, there is a more spacious room upstairs that can be booked for private parties. Sit at the sushi bar to watch chefs craft one-of-a-kind specialty rolls in full view.

#SpoonTip: Keep your eyes peeled for the many sports celebrities, visiting filmmakers, and political figures that frequent this restaurant.

Asahi

Sushi

Photo by Holly Brockerhoff

Love BYOB? This is your place. Located in Fells Point, Asahi has an extensive list of affordable Japanese and Korean offerings that come in large portions. It’s hard not to let your eyes be bigger than your stomach. The menu is definitely locals-oriented, with some rolls incorporating Old Bay and others named after Baltimore teams and streets.

#SpoonTip: Try the Maryland crab roll for a solid reminder that MD has the finest crabs.