Everyone likes milkshakes, so I decided to go on a quest to see which milkshakes bring ’em to the yard. Based on thick, creamy richness and bold flavors I have ranked my favorite places in austin to get a milkshake and included some of my personal selections on the menus. I explored Austin’s favorite burger joints and a few of my own personal favorite restaurants and have brought to you this list of the most delectable milkshakes to find in Austin. So whenever you get that special craving, check out this guide.

1. 24 Diner:

Located next to the iconic Waterloo Records at the corner of North Lamar and 6th Street, 24 Diner is a typical diner with a modern twist and a local farm-to-table Austin appeal.  You can get breakfast all day, chicken and dumplings and a solid milkshake. My personal favorite is the espresso milkshake, which tastes like coffee heaven. The diner also has a roasted banana and brown sugar milkshake that my banana-loving friend cannot resist and orders every time we go.

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

2. Hopdoddy:

Hopdoddy is relatively new to the Austin scene and has created quite the buzz. The burgers are dang tasty and the truffle fries can’t be passed up. On top of all that delicious food are the gourmet milkshakes. My favorite is the caramel and sea salt shake because I love sweet and salty. My Nutella-loving friends insist the Nutella and chocolate pretzel shake is better. With such a variety of interesting shakes and specials that change regularly, you are sure to find one that fits your taste buds.

Top 5 Milkshakes

Photo by Gabby Phi

3. Alamo Draft House:

Want to go see a movie and eat at the same time? Alamo Draft House is the place to go. It has killer burgers, pizza, the best fried pickles in town and its milkshakes are top-notch. Made with Amy’s ice cream, these shakes are rich and delicious. Alamo Draft House’s espresso chocolate shake is the ultimate combination for a chocolate and coffee lover. If you’re feeling adventurous, try the strawberry-balsamic or ancho-chocolate shake to surprise your taste buds.

Untitled

Don’t be fooled—this isn’t a milkshake. But movie theaters are dark, and our camera wasn’t digging it. Photo by Christin Urso.

4. Hut’s:

Around since 1939 and decked out in Longhorn memorabilia, Hut’s has hamburgers and onion rings the size of your head. To compliment the outrageously portioned food, try a traditional chocolate, vanilla or cherry milkshake. All are hearty, thick and define the concept of “comfort food”.

Untitled

Photo by Christin Urso

5. P. Terry’s:

P. Terry’s is the mecca of grass-fed beef burgers and local produce in Austin. It has also mastered the decadent milkshake. Beside your classic chocolate, vanilla or strawberry, P. Terry’s also offers swirled combinations, holiday flavors and caramel milkshakes so tasty you could get drunk off of them.

Top 5 Milkshakes edited

Photo by Gabby Phi