Having a mom who grew up in Italy and cousins who live there now, I can accurately say that I know good pizza. Pizza to me, is an art and one of the greatest foods ever. Perfect as a snack, meal, or to satisfy those late night weekend munchies, pizza is always there and never fails to hit the spot.

However, being the “pizza snob” that I am, finding good pizza that satisfies has been extremely difficult for me. After coming to school in Worcester, I found that the pizza isn’t nearly the same as home, and comparing it to Italian pizza would be a sin.

Volturno Pizza, located on Shrewsbury Street is absolutely amazing. Volturno serves typical thin crust, Neopolitan style pizza. The dough is extremely light and fluffy, the tomatoes aren’t bitter, and you can taste the freshness of all the ingredients starting with the first bite.

Volturno is certified by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana. While this might not mean much to the average pizza consumer, recognition from this association is no small feat. Members use tomatoes grown on Mount Vesuvius and mozzarella from buffalo. Even the dough is prepared traditionally and is rolled by hand.

Pizza

Photo by Gabriella Fletcher

While I’m not accustomed to finishing a whole pizza by myself, you definitely will not find me sharing here. Their “Margherita D.O.P.” is usually my go-to, but if I’m feeling adventurous, I’ll try the “Volturno” pizza with san marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto and arugula.

I have to say, their appetizers are pretty scrumptious, too. I love the calamari. Here, it’s grilled and has somewhat of a lemon-like/tangy flavor. It’s topped with chilies, olives and parsley and sits on a bed of freshly pureed chickpeas. Absolutely delicious.

Lastly, the best way to end your meal at Volturno is by sharing a Nutella pizza with your friends (or devouring it all yourself). Here, they slice the pizza horizontally, fill the middle with the Nutella and sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.  It’s basically like eating a little piece of heaven.

Pizza

Photo by Gabriella Fletcher

I highly recommend that you take a trip to Volturno at LEAST once during your time here on the Hill. Try to take a study break on a Monday or Tuesday and take advantage of their 2 for 1 pizza special. You won’t regret it and once you go, you will definitely find yourself going back for more.

Are you a fellow pizza snob?  Check these articles out: