‘Tis the season…for apple cider. As the weather cools down, our taste buds warm up, and luckily, Boston is bubbling with fresh varieties of hot cider. I toured Boston to hand out the coveted title of “Best Apple Cider in Boston.” Check out my list, then go grab a cup.

P.S. Ciders were graded on a scale of, “why can’t I drink this cider all the time?!” (A), to “I’m glad this cider only comes around in the fall” (C).

L.A. Burdick 

Nestled in the heart of Back Bay and known for its stellar hot chocolate, L.A. Burdick was a great place to go for my first sip of cider.

Type: Mulled apple cider (spiced apple cider)

• slightly sour, like bitting into a Granny Smith
  • hint of cinnamon and nutmeg
  • not too sweet
  • hearty portion

Price: $3.75

Overall: B

Location: 220 Clarendon St. Boston, MA 02116
Hours of operation: Mon – Fri: 9am – 8pm, Sat: 9am – 9pm, Sun: 11am – 7pm

Trident Cafe

15312167371_d6c32ebec3_o_1

Photo by Julia Haas

Just a hop skip away from L.A. Burdick sits Trident Cafe, the next stop on my cider journey.

Type: apple cider (original, plain apple)

• orange pieces mixed in
  • lacking a kick of flavor
  • watered-down
  • semi-sweet

Price: $3.60

Overall: C

Location: 338 Newbury St. Boston, MA 02115
Hours of operation: Mon-Sun: 8am-12am

Blue State Coffee

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

With its close proximity to Fitrec, Blue State was a convenient choice for cider after a trip to the gym.

Type: Chider (a mix of chai tea and apple cider)

• more chai than apple flavor
  • loads of cinnamon
  • spicy
  • foamy

Price: $3.25

Overall: A

Location: 957 Commonwealth Ave. Boston, MA 02215
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri: 7am-10pm, Sat-Sun: 8am-10pm

Each cider had its own personality and unique taste, but Blue State Coffee’s refreshing take on an old time classic takes the crown. However, it is still early in the season. Many cafes have yet to release their ciders and when they do, Blue State Coffee may be knocked off of its throne. For now, when your taste buds crave something warm and apple-y, make your way over to Blue State Coffee for a cider, or should I say, “chider” like no other.

If you are feeling like getting a little boozy with your cider, check out these hot cider cocktails!

Tis’ the season for apple cider and apple muffin, Panera Cobblestone Muffins that is!

Sick of apples? Try eating more pumpkin!