The dreaded Freshman 15. Everyone fears it, everyone is aware of it, and everyone experiences it when they head off to college. My secret to cleaner eating in a town full of oily and greasy food is salmon. Salmon has many health benefits; it contains high levels of protein and omega-3 fatty acids.

There are some pretty dank salmon dishes in Gville you may not have been aware of. This list is now your reference for the best salmon dishes in Gainesville.

1. The Swamp

Gainesville

Photo courtesy of @swamprestaurant on Instagram

The Swamp is by far one of my favorite places eat at when I am craving a salmon dish. I personally recommend the Swamp Signature Salad which consists of salmon, mixed greens, onions, apples, raisins, and pepitas with a balsamic vinaigrette drizzle. But, my ultimate favorite Swamp dish is the Salmon Club, which contains salmon, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and aioli.

#SpoonTip: The Swamp gives you the option to turn any club into a wrap. I personally enjoy the Salmon Club in a whole wheat wrap instead of white bread.

2. Bistro 1245

Gainesville

Photo courtesy of @outintheville on Instagram

I am one of Bistro 1245’s biggest fans. It has so many great dishes with a variety of options to choose from. Bistro 1245 is home of the Seared Salmon Sandwich that is the most prime sandwich in all of Gainesville. The sandwich contains salmon, greens, tomato, bacon, and garlic aioli, served on a toasty rosemary focaccia. Ever have salmon on panini bread? Well, now you can.

#SpoonTip: If you feel like “treating yo self” or you’re going on a fancy date, Bistro 1245 has a seared salmon entree which consists of a thick piece of salmon, garlic mashed potatoes, greens, and an apple cider reduction.

3. BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse

Gainesville

Photo courtesy of @josigivinyafils on Instagram

BJ’s has the biggest variety of salmon dishes by far. With every salad served, you have the option to add a huge piece of salmon (for an added charge). The best salads to add salmon to are the Santa Fe Salad and Caesar Salad; it makes or breaks the dish. Now no one can claim that “salads aren’t filling.”

Other salmon entrees consist of the Roasted Salmon, Cherry Chipotle Glazed Salmon and Atlantic Salmon dishes. These entrees are simply pieces of salmon sprinkled with different seasonings on top.

4. The Top

Gainesville

Photo courtesy of @lucymyc on Instragram

The Top serves top notch salmon dishes for all you clean eaters. One of the most popular items on the menu is the Grilled or Blackened Salmon served with potatoes, green beans, and vegetables. Just like BJ’s, customers have the option to add salmon onto any salad. I recommend the Arugula Spinach Salad, Greek Salad, Vegan Caesar Salad, or the Garden Salad if you are looking to give an additional kick to your favorite salads.

5. Dragonfly

Gainesville

Photo courtesy of @randizieg on Instagram

Anyone visiting Gainesville must experience a meal at Dragonfly. It is one of the most well-known sushi places in Gainesville. Dragonfly has so many different rolls and sashimi dishes that are sure to satisfy your salmon cravings.

The most underrated dish at Dragonfly is by far the Slammin’ Salmon Roll. This roll consists of salmon, crab, avocado, asparagus, cucumber, scallions, and a spicy sauce on the inside. Topped with grilled salmon and eel sauce, the Slammin’ Salmon Roll is both healthy and delicious. You won’t find this mouthwatering combination anywhere else.