Confession: I’m actually not a vegan. But growing up in Southern California, I’ve enjoyed my share of tofu and have nothing but respect for everything veg. I’m fascinated by the plant-based products revolutionizing this booming lifestyle (bleeding Beyond burgers anyone?), so I was stoked to checkout SoCal Vegfest, a huge vegan festival celebrating its 5th year at the OC Fairgrounds.

A project of the Animal Protection and Rescue League (APRL), this volunteer-run festival is brimming with foodie fun. Celebrating healthy, sustainable living, Vegfest draws tons of vendors offering samples of the latest plant-based possibilities. Many products are organic, paleo, gluten-free, and/or soy-free, and there’s a strong emphasis on eco-friendly practices. If you decide to check it out, be prepared to try new things: I was introduced to Chlorella (nutritious green algae, not the infectious disease), dehydrated pea protein, jackfruit, and more.

General Admission was only $5 online. VIP tickets, which included skip-the-line privileges and other perks, were available as well. There was plenty to do (and eat), but it wasn't overwhelming like some festivals. The crowd consisted of eager vegans and carnivores alike, creating a very down-to-earth vibe.

Grace Danon

Samples Galore

Entering the indoor space, I was met with rows of colorful vendor displays--a mix of local start-ups and national brands. If you’re a fellow free-sample-freak, Vegfest is vegan bliss: petite cups of plant-based protein drinks, bites of wholesomely decadent nutrition bars, and yummy tastes of garlicky nut spreads. Standout tastings were the Daiya pumpkin cheesecake, the FoodiesVegan artichoke burger, and a Koia vanilla shake. Crunchy granolas, kombucha on tap, and spiced-up jerky (sans meat) also made appearances. And that was just the free stuff… outside, a fleet of food trucks and stands were selling some insta-worthy vegan grub.

Grace Danon
Grace Danon

What to See

Interspersed among the indoor food vendors was jewelry made from fruit, faux leather bags, fresh produce subscription boxes, and oodles of “proud vegan” garb. As a break from feasting and shopping, there were fun activities throughout the day. My personal fav was viewing the gorgeous entries of a vegan cupcake contest, but there was music and guest speakers as well. Even an animal adoption!

Grace Danon
Grace Danon

The Veg Vision

All in all, SoCal Vegfest was 100% vegan and 100% delicious. But the festival isn’t just a good time--it’s about making an impact too. One of the event’s coordinators, Ted Takeuchi, shared, “Here, we’re moving forward with making sure we’re taking care of our earth, taking care of our bodies, and taking care of our minds by giving people the right information about food.” He says the festival is growing every year, with more vendors willing to share their ideas and more visitors willing to explore vegan values. “It’s compact, it’s raw, it’s righteous, and everything is out here.”