I can confidently say that some of my favorite nights from all four years of college have been spent in the dimly-lit, incredibly-smelling rooms of Iberian Pig Tapas Bar in Atlanta. From parents' weekends to anniversaries and drinks with friends, this place is almost always my go-to. Earlier this semester, though, I realized I've had the same order since my first trip all those years ago. So, I enlisted a friend and ordered three times as much as our stomachs could hold in order to give you the best menu summary possible. Here are my takeaways. 

Grace Wetsel

Cheese & Meat Platter

Candidly, I will say that I don't think you can ever go wrong with charcuterie. Especially at nice Spanish restaurants, these small appetizers will always hit the spot. My favorites from Iberian Pig include the Jamón Ibérico and the Mahón D.O., though the chorizo and manchego also get honorable mentions. 

Grace Wetsel

Bacon Wrapped Dates

Unsurprisingly, the most hyped-up dish at this restaurant is absolutely worth the chatter. My mom asks for these dates every time she's in Atlanta, and I would be lying if I said they hadn't appeared in my dreams before. The saltiness of the bacon mixed with the sweetness of the dates and the sharp spice from the romesco sauce is to die for, and these will absolutely be a part of my I.P. order for as long as I visit ATL. 

Grace Wetsel

Pork Cheek Tacos

These would have never been on my radar had it not been for the presence of other experienced tapas-eaters. It honestly would have never occurred to me to order tacos at a tapas restaurant, but I can most definitely say I'm glad I did. Not only are the shells on these the most incredible I've ever eaten, but the avocado créma softens the whole dish perfectly. On top of all of that, the pork is one of the best meats I've ever eaten. It's definitely safe to say that not one of these was left on the plate by the time we left. 

Grace Wetsel

Broccolini

In all honesty, I ordered the broccolini so that there would be at least one vegetable on the table. That being said, I would skip it next time. The dish was cooked well, but it was nothing to write home about; it was your mom's broccolini in a really great sauce. This dish definitely balanced out the meal, though if you're trying to go for "wow-factor," this didn't do it for me. 

Grace Wetsel

Ibérico Mac 'N' Cheese

This is another one of my all-time favorites, and as a mac and cheese enthusiast, I can say this one is unique enough to merit the order. Though it might seem like an unusual choice for a Spanish tapas experience, I think it's one of the best options on the menu. The sauce is sharp and creamy all at the same time, and the flavor really balanced out some of the other dishes we'd ordered. I would unashamedly go to Iberian Pig just for their mac and cheese, and I cannot imagine a meal there ever feeling complete without it. 

Grace Wetsel

Braised Veal Shank Ravioli

This was incredible, though I honestly would leave it off my next order. With the mac and cheese, this felt like a lot of pasta, and it was almost too rich to finish. The demi-glace over the top of the ravioli bites is reduced down to an almost caramelly consistency, and while it was an incredible thing to try, I could barely put a dent in it. I will say, though, that the roasted wild mushrooms over the top were amazing, and I almost would've rather eaten those than the pasta itself. 

Grace Wetsel

Huevo Con Trufa

This was undoubtedly the unexpected winner for me. The rich truffle cream with the balance of the perfectly cooked egg and braised pork cheek tasted like heaven in a pan. To top it all off, the perfectly toasted bread was the necessary vessel for the whole dish. This was one of the best things I've ever tried and made my whole menu experimentation worth it. This dish was also the closest to anything I ate while in Madrid or Barcelona, so it gets extra points for authenticity. I am a sucker for all things truffle flavored, though, so beware that the truffle comes out very strong here.

1855 Striploin

This has been one of my favorite things on the Iberian Pig menu for a long time, though I'm shocked to say it might be getting replaced by some new options. That isn't to say, though, that this dish won't always hold a special place in my heart. The tenderness of the beef is incredible, and like everything else on the menu, the pairings that go with it are absolutely incredible. This is a perfect tapas staple. 

Empanadas De Carne

These are amazing empanadas, don't get me wrong. Like literally everything else on the Iberian Pig menu, they're incredibly well-made and definitely deserve a try. That being said, I don't think that they necessarily hold up to the rest of the things here that I love. Empanadas are done well everywhere, and even better here, but I just think that on a menu with so many amazing flavors and concepts, these wouldn't be my immediate choice.  

Patatas Bravas

Again, the Iberian Pig patatas bravas are incredible. These are obviously a Spanish staple, and they're done incredibly well. However, in a shocking turn of events to anyone who knows me, I just don't know that these are worth the stomach space among everything else on the menu. If you're looking for a good basic, these are absolutely your best bet. The crema on top is to die for, and the potatoes are crispy and creamy at the same time. 

Lomo

I never thought I would be one to say that pork tenderloin could blow my mind, but this one does. The tenderness of the meat combined with the crispy potatoes and tangy sauce is incredibly balanced, and this is a dish I'll order for years to come. The lomo is always a crowd pleaser, and I can pridefully say that I've ordered this since day one. 

Honorable Mention (The Drinks)

Potentially the best part about Iberian Pig is that the menu's genius doesn't stop in the kitchen. Every cocktail I've ever had here has been amazing, and has perfectly paired with every dish. The wine list is immaculate, too.