When people hear the word "Maui", they instantly think of blue skies, clear ocean waters, and tall, gorgeous palm trees. When people think of Maui cuisine, they imagine grilled fish such as macadamia nut crusted Mahi Mahi, mai tais, and fresh fruit smoothies. My family and I have been coming to Maui every summer ever since I could remember. We are often mistaken for locals, I guess due to our knowledge about restaurants and shops around the Ka'anapali area. A couple of years ago, my family and I stumbled across a little breakfast spot called The Plantation House in Kapalua. Located right smack in the middle of a perfectly groomed golf course, The Plantation House is known for their killer ocean view and great breakfast food. We have become annual regulars over the years, sometimes coming 2-3 times per trip because it's that good. 

The View

The drive from Ka'anapali to Kapalua is a quick one. When you go down the highway towards The Plantation House, you pass local shops and the Maui mountains. As soon as you enter Kapalua, you turn into the residential area and drive down a scenic, winding road that leads you to the restaurant. Soon enough, your eyes lay onto houses along the path and the most luscious, green golf course. Go down a little further, and The Plantation House awaits you. The restaurant literally looks like a plantation house, being all white with huge windows, shutters, and a grand balcony. The elegant dining room boasts a panoramic view of the Maui sky and Pacific ocean, along with little birdies chirping away (and maybe nibbling at your food).

The Food

Now, let's get to the good part–the food. The Plantation House serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but their breakfast is where it's at. You have to start your meal with some fresh Kona coffee, guava juice, classic OJ, or some pineapple juice since you are in Hawaii after all. The menu organizes the different foods by having punny golf-terms, such as The Front Nine, which offers fruits such as fresh pineapples, papayas, and strawberries, to warm banana bread. 

Then there's the Tee Time section, which offers sweet breakfast meals such as Maui Sweet Bread French Toast to Plantation House Loco Moco. 

There's also a Six Degrees of Benediction portion of the menu, with so many renditions of eggs benedict to choose from. Choose from the Classic Eggs Benedict to Pork Belly Benedict, as well as Crab Cake Benedict or Seared Ahi. 

Of course, my breakfast of choice at The Plantation House is one of their many omelettes. Choose between the Meat Lovers, which has Canadian bacon, Portuguese sausage, and country sausage, or the Hawaiian with pineapple, Canadian bacon, and Swiss cheese. Or load up your omelette with vegetables such as Baby Kula spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, or get a Santa Fe inspired ommy filled with chorizo, red bell peppers, jalapeños, and house salsa. 

It's A Hole In One

The Plantation House encapsulates the true Hawaiian vacation mode, with the breathtaking view, the mouthwatering food, and the great service. Whenever I hear someone is traveling to Maui, especially in the Ka'anapali area, I recommend the Plantation House and I urge them to go. Nine time out of ten, they end up going, and I hear nothing but praise for this hidden local spot. If you're booking a flight to Maui, make sure you start your mornings right at The Plantation House.