One of the many struggles within residence is that eating usually requires you to relocate to another building. You and I both know that you’ll do everything, absolutely everything, in your power to put off going outside even if that means lowering your standards.

As cute as going on a date downtown sounds, maybe you and your significant other just aren’t up for venturing outside the comfort that Victoria Hall offers. All you want to do is curl up in bed and re-watch Friends. But there’s one problem, and it’s critical. What’s there to eat?

You could get creative with your popcorn for a Netflix date, or maybe you’ve already stocked up on dorm-friendly foods to gorge on. But in terms of ready-made food, the Lazy Scholar is pretty much your only option when you’re as lazy as me.

Those cheese plates, though… not so cute. So how can you spice up your date while keeping effort to a minimum?

Arrange your Plate

date

Photo by Joyce Li

Take the plate that you’ve only ever used for mac & cheese and rearrange the contents of the cheese plate into something more aesthetically pleasing. The snack will look a lot fancier, and the food will still taste just as good as before.

This snack plate may not be the classiest of meals, but when you’re living off of OSAP, sacrifices must be made.

Sharing is Caring

date

Photo by Joyce Li

Hungry people do not make for a fun date. Unless you want to eat Lady and the Tramp style, grab a chicken snacker and ask for it to be cut in half. Fill up the empty space on your plate with carrots to beat off those freshman 15.

Imagine reaching for a carrot, and your fingers accidentally brush against your date’s fingers as sparks of electricity bounce between you and your date. So would this meal be considered a boring part of your diet? I think not. This is a plate filled with the potential for romance.

Put a Ring On It

date

Photo by Joyce Li

Still hungry after all those carrots? Probably. If you’re craving some grease, onion rings are the perfect snack for two. But onion rings aren’t the most appealing snack when they’re laid out in all their crumbled glory. To spice up your presentation, stab a coffee lid with a chopstick to create a makeshift onion ring stand.

Stay Classy

date

Photo by Devon Carlson

What about drinks? There’s a new service run by a pair of first year students in Victoria Hall called RK Upcycle that turn bottles into beautiful, reusable glasses. Use these glasses for a classier alternative to drinking straight from the bottle.

Dessert for Two

date

Photo by Joyce Li

In most circumstances, the tiny Oreo packages seem to be lacking in quantity. But small portions of desert will give your meal a gourmet twist. At least, that’s what I tell myself when I’m on my last cookie.

These little snacks provide a cute dessert opportunity for you and your SO. Just pour a carton of milk into a cute glass and enjoy an Oreo each. Just enough of a treat to savour the lingering taste of  sugar. And what kind of date doesn’t end with a sweet, lingering memory?

Be proud. You’ve transformed a casual Lazy snack into a classy date for two without having to face the outdoors. Cuddle up, dig in, and enjoy the suffocating comfort of your dorm room.

Check out more on food and romance: