My family and I decided to switch up our Christmas routine and take a trip to Munich, Germany. From late November, through late December, Christkindlmarkts make the city ultra-festive and dominate its food and shopping scenes. Christmas markets can be found throughout Europe, but Munich’s are some of the most famous. Every stand is decked out in lights and fir garlands, boosting Christmas spirit among the bustling crowds. Stall after stall greets tourists and locals alike with beautiful handmade goods: everything from fuzzy woolen hats to brightly painted nutcrackers to delicate glass ornaments.

Grace Danon

The food is just as wishlist-worthy as the merch. Heavenly smells fill the air, and the chilly weather compels cravings for a hot drink. Start out with a steaming cup of red or white glüwein (wine mulled with a mix of warming spices), or a non-alcoholic kinderpunsch if you’re underage. Not feeling fruity? Try a hot milk drink--I got a delicious hot gingerbread milk, but cocoa and honey milk were also available. You even get to sip out of a cute ceramic mug that you can return on deposit or keep as a souvenir.

Grace Danon
Grace Danon

Once you’ve worked up an appetite from all that shopping, indulge in the huge array of traditional Bavarian bites. Sausage is a must; served in a Kaiser roll or with fries, red beef brats or white veal/pork weisswurst are scrumptious with a squirt of spicy mustard and a scoop of tangy sauerkraut. I was never much of a sausage person, but the crackly grilled outsides and rich meatiness of this German staple were enough to convert me. In the mood for fusion? Currywurst is chopped up bratwurst bathed in a BBQ/ketchup sauce and dusted with curry powder. This unexpected but brilliant combo is a sweet, umami mashup. Complement your savory feast with a classic soft pretzel studded with salt or some ooey gooey käsespätzle (basically German mac and cheese).

Grace Danon
Grace Danon

Check everyone off your list and pick up some snacks to bring home too. Crunchy spiced nuts make a special treat, while beautifully decorated gingerbread and decadent chocolates are perfect for stuffing your fam’s stockings. And don’t forget the hot desserts at the market… Indulge in cinnamon-laden apple strudel or a yeasty cakebread called dampfnudel--both come smothered in a warm, creamy vanilla sauce that will have you wishing it was Christmas year-round. While not purely German, waffles and crêpes are also sold at multiple stands and come loaded with nutella, fresh fruit, and all the usual delights.

If Christmas is your thing, these Christkindlmarkts are not to be missed. Should you get the opportunity to visit one, bask in the holiday cheer and be sure to sample some German specialties. Frohe Weihnachten!