As spring break is quickly approaching, I’ve noticed a lot of my friends have become more health conscious. Eating out can make it hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but if you find yourself eating at one of the following places, don’t feel stuck in making a bad food choice. Here are some healthier food options when eating out in Norman, Oklahoma.  

Chipotle

With Chipotle located right on Campus Corner, it's a quick and easy option if you can’t decide what to eat. I know, it’s hard to say no to the extra cheese and sour cream on your big burrito, but instead of all of those extra calories, opt for a salad instead. Chipotle’s website has a new nutritional calculator that tells you exactly what you’re putting in your body.

A salad with romaine lettuce, black beans, pinto beans, tomato salsa and chili-corn salsa is only 350 calories and 3.5 grams of fat with 17 grams of protein. This salad is very satisfying and I like to squeeze a lemon on it to give it a little extra flavor.

Jason’s Deli

Jason’s Deli is underrated in my opinion. The menu includes the calorie count for each item. Not only does the deli serve vegetarian options, but there are some great vegan options as well.

Recently, they've added a super slaw salmon salad, which includes tri-colored organic quinoa mixed with a super slaw of kale, broccoli, cabbage, carrots and a cranberry-walnut mix. It's tossed in a wasabi mustard-honey vinaigrette and topped with a Wild Alaska sockeye salmon fillet. This meal is very filling, packed with flavor (and is only 490 calories).

Bonus: You’ll get a healthy serving of some great superfoods.

Pei Wei

If your group of friends decides to go out to eat at Pei Wei, don’t fret because it’s super easy to find a healthier replacement to the big plate of fried rice you really want to order. I suggest ordering a small plate instead of the regular size. It’s cheaper and it won’t let you over-indulge on food you may not be hungry for.

Depending on what meat you like, order it steamed and it will save you some calories (if that's what you're going for). Some dishes are not recommended to be steamed, but that's usually only the steak orders. Instead of a side of rice, you can also ask for lettuce cups to cut the carbs.

Old School Bagel Café

Brunch is a must on the weekend. If you find yourself at Old School Bagel Café, there is still a way to get some nutritional value out of your meal (even though bagels don't have the best rep for being a dietitian's first pick).

The multigrain bagel will add more fiber into your diet and keep you fuller longer. As for spreads, peanut butter or avocado are a good choice to get some healthy fats. Steer away from all of the saturated fat in cream cheese, cheese and butter. When it comes to toppings, pile on the veggies. Eggs on a bagel are also a good topping for a source of protein.  

Torchy's Tacos

It’s hard to resist eating at Torchy’s, so if you find yourself wanting their chips and queso (which is 910 calories, by the way) opt for a half order instead to avoid over-indulging.

Some of the tacos come in at 490 calories for just one (for instance, The Republican). The smartest decision when ordering here is to choose The Brushfire. This yummy Jamaican jerk chicken taco on flour is just 270 calories, so go ahead and treat yourself to some chips and queso.

The Earth Café and Deli

I’m sure most of you have seen this cute, little café on Flood Ave. It offers organic food for anyone trying to clean up their diet. They have a wide variety of vegetarian options, along with gluten-free and vegan choices. They even make vegan ranch, which I find tastes better than regular ranch.

They sell different baked goods daily, and organic smoothies and juices. This place gives you the opportunity to enjoy delicious food without having to worry about how processed it is.

Choosing to eat healthier food options may not be your favorite thing, but it'll be worth it in the end when your body repays you.