With the “Coming Soon” sign no longer hanging on the front, the wait is finally over: The Halal Guys is officially open! Known for its “American Halal food” that has people lining up by the masses at the original food cart in New York, the restaurant has really been building up the hype and anticipation in the Berkeley community. We got the chance to try out the food and to give you the inside details. 

Ambience

Kaitlan Tseng

Center Street is a bustling road packed with many food options, but you won’t miss The Halal Guys’ bright red and yellow logo right next to Ben and Jerry’s. The second you open the door, you are greeted by the friendly employees and a big glass display station filled with meats and toppings waiting to be spooned onto pita breads and bowls. Past the cash register, the bright red tables exude a lively ambience that makes you want to sit down and enjoy your meal chatting with friends. 

Menu Overview

Kaitlan Tseng

The basic menu at The Halal Guys consists of sandwiches ($7.99) or platters ($8.99 for a small, $9.99 for a large). With each, you get your choice of chicken, beef gyro, combo (chicken and beef gyro), or falafel, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and toppings and sauces of your choice.

Kaitlan Tseng

Free toppings include green peppers and onions, and you can pay extra for toppings such as hummus, baba ghanouj, jalapenos, and olives. Sauce options include The Halal Guys’ famous white sauce and hot sauce.  

Sandwiches

Kaitlan Tseng

Sandwiches are served in a warm pita bread bursting with fillings from each end. The combo sandwich comes with soft and tender beef gyro that melts in your mouth, and the chicken adds another level to the texture and flavor profile. The fluffy and soft pita bread compliments the fresh and crunchy vegetables, and envelops the flavors into a perfectly wrapped bite. A dollop of hummus and a dousing of white sauce elevates the sandwich into creamy and smooth territories. It also adds a perfect cooling effect to the spicy kick from the hot sauce. 

Platters

Kaitlan Tseng

Platters are served with rice and pita bread slices. The chicken platter is great if you want to stick with familiar flavors and experiment with different toppings. Try the baba ghanouj, a dip made with roasted eggplant, to add a bit of acidity and creaminess.

Kaitlan Tseng

The combo plate is a fantastic option if you want to sample a little bit of everything. Make sure to top the platters with the sauces The Halal Guys offers. While a little bit of hot sauce can go a long way in kicking flavors up a notch, the well-rounded and addicting white sauce is the way to go. It will surely leave you wanting to take the whole bottle home with you.

Falafel 

Kaitlan Tseng

These vegan, deep fried patties are made from chickpeas and can be served in a platter or sandwich, or enjoyed alone as a side. The exterior is crispy and crackling, but this is just the humble entrance to the super light and fluffy interior. A prominent spice flavor fills your mouth, giving you a complex and pleasant surprise. 

Baklava

Kaitlan Tseng

There is no way you should pass up on the baklava, the one dessert option The Halal Guys offers. It is a flawless construction of flaky, thin layers of fillo dough filled with crunchy chopped nuts soaked in a syrup. The pastry is delicate and light, yet the gooey and syrupy filling will leave you licking your fingers with satisfaction. 

Is it worth to wait in line?

Kaitlan Tseng

The fast-casual dining at The Halal Guys is sure to be a popular spot for college students to grab something on the way to or from campus. Beyond that, the simple but flavorful options that the restaurant offers will please anyone’s palate. Drop by to try some delightful “American Halal food" that will warm your heart and satisfy your stomach with aromatic and comforting flavors.