When you ask someone to describe SLO’s variety of food, “German food” isn’t exactly a phrase that comes to mind. It wasn’t a phrase on my mind, either, until Cal Poly SLO’s Spoon Chapter had the chance to experience The Grill House on our food crawl—and trust me, German food is definitely on my radar now.

The Grill House, located on Higuera in downtown SLO, offers a wide assortment of classic German food with an American twist.

Grill House

Photo by Megan Schellong

Open for around fifteen months so far, The Grill House offers everything from burgers and salads to German bratwurst and schnitzel—thin, breaded and fried meat. I had a chance to sit down with owner (and Cal Poly grad) Jason, who said that people are generally intimidated to try the more traditional dishes on the menu, but take it from me—the pork schnitzel is definitely worth leaving your comfort zone. And who knew Brussels sprouts could be so tasty? Don’t worry though, if you still feel inclined to stick to your American palette, their sandwiches, garlic fries, salmon tacos and classic burgers are just as yummy.

Grill House

Photo courtesy of newtimesslo.com

Besides the Jäger schnitzel, one of Jason’s personal favs is the Wooly Burger—an asiago cheese bun piled with grilled cremini mushroom, grilled onion, muenster cheese, mayo, romaine and tomato.

Don’t be fooled by the restaurant’s seemingly small size and demeanor, either. Not only does The Grill House offer a mouthwatering menu, but the restaurant is also perfect for socializing. Sit outside in the front and get your daily dose of people watching, or take a big group and sit in the back at one of the larger tables.

Grill House

Photo by Megan Schellong

So next time you’re debating where to eat, why not switch up your routine? Stop by The Grill House, eat some schnitzel (or fries), and be sure to let them know Spoon sent you.