Everybody stay calm, the day has finally come. For years now, the well established and highly loved fast food chain has teased the idea of finally bringing a location to Hawai'i. A few weeks ago, a location opened on Maui, but it's official, Chick-Fil-A is on Oahu. This is huge news for homesick fried chicken lovers and first timers alike. Located in the Ala Moana Center food court, the people of Oahu lined up out the door for the highly anticipated opening of one of America's most popular fast food chains.

Opening Week

Madelyn Waddell

As to be expected, Chick-Fil-A's opening week was a busy time for the newly trained staff. The Ala Moana food court has never been more packed. But Chick-Fil-A did what Chick-Fil-A does best. If you have ever been to a Chick-Fil-A on the mainland you know, they run a very well oiled machine, getting everyone their food in the quickest, most efficient way possible. Nothing runs smoother than a Chick-Fil-A line, and opening day in a new state was no exception. When we arrived, the line was out the door to the Ross. However it only took about 25 minutes from the time we arrived, to the time that we were enjoying that sweet Chick-Fil-A sauce. But a devoted few got there at 4 a.m. on opening day and some even waited upwards of two hours.

Employees from the mainland came to help train and work with new staff on the busy first few days. With a smile on their faces, new employees were excited each time they got to say "my pleasure."

Madelyn Waddell

For the Community

Chick-Fil-A prides itself in each location being locally owned and operated. University of Hawai’i and Manoa alumni and past football player Kurt Milne will look after this Ala Moana location. There are around 100 new employees at the location alone.

Along with bringing jobs, Chick-Fil-A plans to donate $25,000 to the Hawai’i Foodbank to celebrate this exciting opening.

The Food

For those of you who are about to have your first Chick-Fil-A experience, let me help you out.

Chick-Fil-A is known for their freshly breaded and pressure cooked chicken breast which is cooked in peanut oil. This simple but amazing recipe has both adults and kids claiming Chick-Fil-A as their favorite restaurant. (There are also grilled options!) Whether ordered in nugget, strip, or sandwhich form, you cannot go wrong.

Next step is to choose your sauce, which is a very important and personal decision. There are many options to choose from and you are sure to find one you like. A popular one is the classic “Chick-Fil-A Sauce,” a honey mustard and barbeque mix fan favorite. Or get in the spirit and try the Polynesian Sauce! Seriously, no wrong choices.

Pair all this with their delicious waffle fries and you are all set!

A Chicken Lover's Dream

But wait, the news gets even better. Chick-Fil-A has announced plans for two more locations to open on the island. By late 2022, you will be able to find your favorite chicken joint at South Beretania Street in Honolulu and off Kapolei Parkway as well.

With over 2,700 locations, Chick-Fil-A is a mainland favorite, and it is time for it to become a Hawai’i favorite as well. Chick-Fil-A is on Oahu and it is making waves. 

Madelyn Waddell