When I embark on my vegan lifestyle, satisfying yogurt substitutes are the hardest one to find. I just want the same smooth, satiating, and health experience. Then, I found the Collaborative's coconut yogurts and desserts.

The Collaborative started in London in 2014 as "the Coconut Collaborative." As they started to spread their coconut-love to the US, they rebrand the name into "the Collaborative." They have a whole series of coconut-based, dairy-free, low-sugar, and gluten-free yogurts AND desserts. They claimed that the Collaborative's Coconut yogurts and desserts have "created the creamiest most indulgent treats that are free from dairy but not temptation." Moreover, their coconuts are all from plantations in Southeast Asia where the company initiates a Pur Project to help farmers plant thousands of coconut trees every year for free. 

This company sounds too good to be true. Although I was not crazy about coconut, I was thrilled when they sent me four flavors of their yogurts and two dessert pots. So without further boilerplates, let's dive in.

Emily ZiXin Xing

The Yogurts

1. Plain 

150 kcal / serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

Imagine laying by the beach: the sun, the sand, the breeze, the wave, the dance, and the refreshing coconut water is what I feel after only one scoop of this coconut plain yogurt. You will not believe the magic this yogurt has with its simple ingredients: coconut milk, starches, and yogurt culture. 

Emily ZiXin Xing

The off-white appearance reminds me of the coconut meat. The foretaste is tart with little sweetness. Then, the creamy coconut aftertaste lingers your tough and coats your taste buds. If you miss Hawaii and sunbathe, this yogurt will transport you to any beach you want. 

2. Vanilla

160 kcal / serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

Without opening the package, I saw pecks of vanilla seeds hinting the premium quality ingredients. The presence of actual vanilla beans immediately elevates my expectations. Then, I scoop it. 

Emily ZiXin Xing

When I flip over my spoon, the yogurt doesn’t fall off. I think you know how creamy and consistent this antigravity yogurt is. Don’t get me wrong. It is not sticky and dense. Oh, No No No. The moment it enters your mouth, it’s as light and refreshing as water. It travels around to disperse the deliciousness and then flows right down your throat.

Emily ZiXin Xing

The vanilla profile is not so strong but it is there. I may not recommend this to people who like strong flavor and sweetness, but it serves a great base for any smoothie or yogurt bowl. 

3. Mango & Passion Fruit:

160 kcal / serve

Emily ZiXin Xing
Emily ZiXin Xing

“I will never miss ice cream again!”

This is the exact natural reaction from my teammate. All I did was freeze the yogurt for 1 hour, and then I ambushed my teammate with a bite with the spoon full of yogurt. The next thing I knew was that he grabbed the whole cup away from me. 

Emily ZiXin Xing

Among all the flavors, it has the least coconut flavor. Instead, I feel bursts of summer passion from chunks of mango and the sweet-sour complex from the passion fruit puree. The fruits are quietly sitting at the bottom. When you stir them into the yogurt, they are unstoppable. The passion fruit and mango add a little tropical hint into the yogurt and the coconut prevents the whole flavor from over-sweet. It’s a MUST try flavor!

4. Blueberry:

160 kcal / serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

Like the mango and passion fruit one, the blueberry jam sits at the bottom of the cup. The yogurt has little clumps, which come from the yogurt cultures.

Emily ZiXin Xing

The calorie difference is only 10 kcal from the plain one. Right there I know their blueberry jam is the real deal. Unlike other sugar-infused fruit jams, you taste the natural flavor from the blueberry. However, it means it may not suit with sweet-teeth people. On the other hand, you can always adjust the sweetness by adding some fruits or honey. 

Emily ZiXin Xing

The Dessert Pots

1. Chocolate 

100 kcal /serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

Dense, creamy, chocolatey are the perfect words for these chocolate dessert pots. It feels like a perfectly melted milk chocolate bar but in a cold form. These pots give you the pleasure of licking chocolate frosting for the first time every time.

Emily ZiXin Xing

I feel the richness of the cocoa and coconut cream. However, I feel a  weird and rough aftertaste left on my tough. Regardless, it is still my top choice to quench sweet cravings.

Emily ZiXin Xing

2. Salted Caramel Caramel Dessert Pot:

130 kcal / serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

To be honest, I did not quite taste the difference between this one and the chocolate pot. The reflective mousse surface and frosting texture are just as fantastic. From the appearance to the taste, this little pot offers the whole package. 

Emily ZiXin Xing

However, it has 130 kcal as opposed to the 100 kcal of the chocolate one. I did not see the extra surprises brought by the additional 30 kcal. I have to say that the chocolate flavor dominates over the caramel and salt. It would be perfect if they spice up the flavor profile.

Emily ZiXin Xing

Take-Home Message:

If you like plant-based food, don't hesitate to try. If you like coconut, this brand is tailored to you. If you like both, it sounds worthy to treat yourself with some guilt-free desserts. 

The Collaborative's coconut yogurts and desserts completely shake my impression of vegan yogurts. If I have to pick a favorite, it is Mango and Passion fruit just because, personally, I love that extra tropical oomph. Hands down to other ones as well. They all have the authentic taste and a fulfilling texture. Although some people may not be accustomed to the low-sugar part, I love the freedom it gives to the customers. You can adjust the sweetness yourself by mixing in your own favorite ingredients.

You can find them by visiting their website to find the nearest retailer.