From deep-dish pizza to the famous Chicago dog (relish, peppers, and tomatoes), Chicago has been in the top of foodie's lists for a while. In 2017 The Bon Appetit Magazine voted Chicago the Restaurant City of The Year. After this, it came clear that Chicago's food scene went beyond their pizza and dogs.  

However, the COVID-19 regulations implementing an 11 pm curfew and no indoor dining gave a hard shake to the restaurant industry. Most restaurants found ways to adapt by setting up tents with outdoor seating, calling for street closures to have more space and eventually installing heaters for the cold weather. 

Sofia Acevedo

Even amidst the chaos and regulations, the food scene is still thriving and offering mouth watering gastronomy and five stars service. After an express, two-day visit with some friends during November, I rounded up a list of must-go places that are COVID friendly and insanely delicious. 

Breakfast

Wildberry Cafe 

This was our first breakfast spot and it was highly recommended by locals. They had plenty outdoor seating, but no heating which was kind of a struggle. However, the food in this place was 100% worth my fingers freezing off. 

Sofia Acevedo

Location: 196 E Pearson St, Chicago, IL 60611

Order: Eggs Benedicts and Wild Mushroom and Prosciutto omelet

Vegan option: Vegan Breakfast Hash    

Price: $15-$20 

Kitsch’n On Roscoe

Our second breakfast spot was a little further away from the city and more of a hidden gem we stumbled upon. Known for eclectic terrace, this place offered outdoor setting with tents and heaters which was a big plus. 

Sofia Acevedo

Location: 2005 W. Roscoe, Chicago, IL 60618

Order: Their bagels from "Once upon a bagel" and the lox plate.

Vegan option: Basil Omelet 

Price: $10-$15

Snacks 

Garrett Popcorn

Without a doubt this is Chicago's must-go spot for anyone who likes popcorn or deliciousness in general.

They're famous for their Garret mix, a combination of flavorful cheddar cheese popcorn with sweet and buttery caramel popcorn. Even if you're not a huge fan of the sweet and salty mix, visit the store and maybe try some other flavor because they really are the best popcorn ever. 

Sofia Acevedo

The Chicago Roastery - Starbucks Reserve

More than just a coffee shop, the Chicago Starbuck's reserve houses five floors of coffee related experiences. From a merch shop in the ground floor to a deck bar on the fifth floor, the store offers an experience for people from all walks of life. 

We only went there for coffee since the terrace bar was closed, but that's definitely on my next Chicago To-Do list. We got to try some of their specials like the affogato, a nitrogen-infused fior di latte gelato with two shots of espresso poured over, and the pistachio latte. The coffees were incredibly tasty, with the beans roasted in the same store. It was an amazing experience overall and the staff in the roastery and very helpful and cheerful; definitely a must if visiting Chicago.

Sofia Acevedo

Dinner

ROOH Chicago

This was by far my favorite place of all. They had a couple terraces with outdoor sitting and heaters. Their service was extraordinary, really nice and had easygoing staff. Their family style menu was a bit intimidating at first, but with some guidance we ended up with one of the best Indian dinners I've had in my life. Make sure you order plenty different things and don't be scared of venturing to unknown dishes. 

Sofia Acevedo
Sofia Acevedo

Location: 736 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60661

Order: Since this is a family style restaurant we ordered a lot of plates to share, but the highlights were the Paneer Pasanda (1st picture) and the Avocado Green Chickpea Bleh (2nd picture)

Vegan Option: almost half of the menu is vegan friendly and everything we ordered was vegan and amazing. 

**Don't forget to order naan and rice with your food 

Price: $35-$40

Sapori Trattoria 

Our second dinner was a bit more homey in this cozy Italian restaurant. Different from other eateries, they had their indoor seating open but with their floor-to-ceiling windows open so it counted as outside dining. The food had a homemade feeling and very rich flavors that left me reminiscing it even as we walked out the door. 

Sofia Acevedo

Location: 2701 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL

Order: Bucatini Carbonara, Lobster Ravioli and Meat Lasagna 

Vegan option: Cappellacci de Zucca 

Price: $25-$40