Nestled among Northeastern University’s residence halls, recreational centers, and academic buildings lies a hidden gem: Wollaston’s. An unassuming supermarket stocked with everything from fresh produce to instant ramen to dish soap, many students frequent this beloved store on the daily. But something unique about Wollaston’s is their large selection of freshly-made deli sandwiches. Now, we know the menu can get overwhelming at times, so we're here to offer up some help. In this article we've compiled a list of the best sandwiches to get at Wollaston's -- so the next time you’re looking for a quick bite to eat, we’ve got you covered!

Nikki Lee

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese:

You can’t go wrong with thick bacon slices, gooey cheese, and fluffy eggs sandwiched between a toasty bagel to start your morning. As we unwrapped the silver tinfoil, the aroma of our favorite breakfast foods bundled into a singular meal invoked strong feelings of comfort and nostalgia. This classic sandwich was the definition of “less is more,” with minimal ingredients providing a familiar taste of our childhood homes.

The Cubano:

If you like classic Cubanos, this sandwich is the one for you! Although it might not look like your average Cubano, I can assure you that the Wollaston's Cubano competes with its peers in both meatiness and acidity. With the inclusion of pepperoni, pulled pork, and sliced ham, the Cubano boasts a staggering amount of meat that’s paired perfectly with just the right balance of pickles and mustard. When we think of perfect harmony, we think of Wollaston's Cubano. 

The Pike:

The Pike is easily the most refreshing, and rejuvenating, sandwich at Wollaston’s. The presence of thousand island dressing, lettuce, and onion worked really well with the meats, complementing them rather than overwhelming. The bread was also a very big component in the success of this sandwich. At the start, we feared that the bread was too thick, but it turned out to be just the right size. If you’re looking for a juicy and refreshing sandwich, this one is the one for you.

Nikki Lee

Sigma Kappanini:

The perfect sandwich strata: a vibrant smear of green contrasted with a pop of red peppers, chunks of grilled chicken, and pearly mozzarella cheese. Arguably the simpler option compared to more complex sandwiches like the Cubano or Pike, it provided a healthier, more balanced flavor profile that caters towards a lighter palette.

The Champion:

The Champion was a winner in our books. The pillowy ciabatta roll absorbing juices from the buffalo chicken, red onion, pepper jack cheese, and banana pepper concoction elevated the dish to another level. Its small size also makes it perfect for anyone who is looking for a quick bite that isn't overly filling. If you’re a fan of saucy sandwiches with a kick, this is the one for you.

We hope this article gives Northeastern University students a taste of the wide variety of sandwich options Wollaston’s has to offer. A quick, convenient, and dining-dollar friendly meal, we guarantee there is something for everyone at Wollaston’s!