Midterms are fast approaching and we all know how hard it is to study once you get home. You could brew coffee, but there's just something so alluring about your nice warm bed in this winter weather that you can't resist.  Luckily, we've created a roundup of the best places to study and grab coffee at Laurier in Waterloo. Happy studying! 

Second Cup

Rajini Coore

Second Cup is conveniently located in the library, which makes it one of the best places to study and grab a coffee. A few perks to Second Cup include: the shop offers a fantastic selection of coffee and baked treats and it is not located in a high traffic area which is perfect for people who need peace and quiet to study. However, the only downside is that there aren't any electric sockets nearby, so it's not ideal for extended work periods on your laptop. The library is right there, however, so if necessary you can always bring your laptop and coffee into the main library area. Overall, Second Cup is my favourite place to study and grab coffee at Laurier if I have a lot of reading to do because of the easy access to affordable coffee and the quiet atmosphere

Starbucks in the Concourse

coffee, milk, tea, beer
Sarah Yanofsky

This is a louder area than Second Cup because the concourse is a central location on campus, but, the loudness can be overcome if you are able to work with headphones! Some perks to this study spot include a charging station so you can charge your phone (and avoid being distracted) while you study, as well, visibility to outside via the large windows in the concourse – this allows your eyes a nice break from the endless readings. The only downfall to Starbucks is that it is more expensive than Second Cup, however, the quality is good and is able to make up for this. I like to study here if I'm doing work that doesn't require too much extended concentration just because of the noise, but all in all, it's not a bad place to study.

Tim Horton's in the Science Building

Rajini Coore

I love the aesthetic of the science building because of how open and full of light it is. The trees growing inside also add to a really peaceful ambiance that can get you in the right frame of mind to study. One downside is that like me, the majority of the school as well agrees that this is one of Laurier's best study spots, and this is likely why I often have a hard time finding a table. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend going to science if a writing surface is necessary for your day's work. Overall though, Tim's at the science building could be your next go-to spot when you're craving a doughnut and need to study.

Dining Hall

Rajini Coore

The dining hall is a hit or miss when it comes to studying.  On the one hand, you can stay as long as you want and eat as much as you want. On the other, it can be hard to get any actual studying done if you go with your friends.  If you don't mind going to the dining hall alone, it can be a really great place to study and grab coffee as well as something more filling. Bring your headphones and grab a comfy armchair by the window to get that "home away from home" feel.

Byte 75

Rajini Coore

If you spend a lot of time at Lazaridis Hall, you've probably already been to Byte to grab a quick bite 😉 or to catch up on some studying. It's great for coffee and a chocolate chip cookie but it's always so crowded that you have to go at specific times to get peace and quiet.  However, if you like to study with background noise Byte could be your new spot. It's located in the Lazaridis building and the spot is ideal to grab a snack between classes and to find a quieter place to study while you eat.  Again, I would study here if I didn't have to concentrate a lot on the work. Overall not a bad study spot.

If you're having trouble studying in your res, check out these places to study and grab a coffee on Laurier's Waterloo campus and get yourself focused for upcoming midterms! Good luck and happy studying!