Somehow it’s already November. Instead of wallowing in post-summer depression and grieving the loss of juicy heirloom tomatoes, grilled peaches and burrata, and watermelon feta salad (can you tell what my favorite food season is?), I’ve decided to finally take charge of my life and lean into autumn cravings. And what dessert screams fall more than pie? Naturally, I had to find the best pie in Atlanta and that’s how I found Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop.

My original goal was to rate all their pies, but this task proved to be impossible as they’re all delicious in their own way. And while I realize I sound like my mom when she assures my brother and I that she loves us equally - she’s lying (sorry Benjamin). But, I pinky swear; I’m telling the truth. So instead I’ll be sharing the best pies I ate (in no particular order) to try and demonstrate how truly special this bakery is, both in terms of their tastiness and the wholesome story behind this family-owned sweet shop.

Gillian Feinglass

Granny’s Apple

You are the apple of my pie! This classic pie flavor did not disappoint. In fact, it may be the best apple pie I’ve ever had. This family recipe was passed down for generations, but it has a modern twist. Rather than the typical lattice pie crust, this pie has a heavenly crumble topping. It’s buttery, perfectly sweet, and adds a great texture. Be sure to warm this pie up. It’s so good you won’t even need ice cream, but of course ice cream never hurts. 

I-40

With toasted pecans, coconut, and chocolate chips as the filling combined with a shortbread crust, this pie is set up overwhelm your taste buds with joy. Both beautiful and delicious, it’s perfect to bring as a gift to a friends-giving party, but beware it will be a challenge not eating it before you arrive. 

Gillian Feinglass

Southern Custard

If chess and custard pie were to have a child, it would be this southern custard pie. It melts in your mouth and heart as it's perfectly light and sweet. As an extra plus, cleaning up was a breeze as there was not even a crumb left behind.

Gillian Feinglass

Chocolate Cream Pie

This is the ultimate chocolate lover’s pie as it’s filled with decadent chocolate in an oreo crust topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Even the sweetest of sweet tooth's will be surely satisfied by this outrageous dessert. 

Chewy Chocolate Chip

Why have a cookie when you can have cookie pie? Buttermilk Pie Shop to my surprise knows how to make a cookie that rivals nearby cookie shops. I recommend warming this pie as the melty chocolate chips elevate this already delicious pie to new levels. 

Gillian Feinglass

So, if you’re like me and you can’t decide on just one pie to eat, Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop makes it easy to try all their delicious flavors as their pies come in various sizes: two, four, and nine inches. To add to the charm of Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop, the story behind this family owned business is just as sweet as the pie’s themselves. Instead of the owners, Scott and Meredith Layton fighting over whose grandmother baked the superior pie, the two joined forces to give the greatest of all; an opportunity to not have to take sides.

Gillian Feinglass

If you live in Atlanta, report to Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop for your fall needs; you won’t regret it. If you don’t have the luxury of walking into the shop, don’t fret - you can ship these pies right to your door. But beware, these treats will be sure to occu-pie your thoughts through fall and beyond.

Gillian Feinglass
Gillian Feinglass