We all know that feeling when a guy or girl asks us out for the first time. Personally I feel like I’m on cloud nine, jumping up and down, running around the house singing at the top of my lungs when I get asked out on a date by someone I like. So if you’re wondering where to go on a first date to avoid the awkwardness of bumping in to everyone you know in a small town, here are the best first date spots in Lexington.

The Pink Cadillac Diner

The Pink Cadillac may not immediately pop into your head when you think of first date spots, but it should. Think retro diner with burgers, fries and milkshakes without the stress of seeing every person in town that you go to school with. Because Pink Cadillac is located about 15 minutes off campus, you don’t have to risk the danger of running into every other person on campus in case you’re waiting for a few more dates to take things public.

Devils Backbone Brewery

Devils Backbone is the perfect setting for a first date, but only if you’re 21 or over (of course). Choose from one of their freshly brewed beers and enjoy live music and beautiful views. What better way to spend a first date than with some beer, good music and lovely company? Grab your favorite food and have a picnic on their back porch that overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains. Come closer to dark for an amazing sunset.

Picnic on the Blue Ridge Parkway

If you’re not going to take advantage of the beautiful mountains around you on the first date then you’re doing it wrong. What better way to wow your date than a romantic picnic outside watching the sun set over picturesque mountains. We recommend grabbing something simple like sushi or takeout from Napa Thai. You can thank us later.

Sweet Things Ice Cream and the Colonnade

Melinda Kauffman

No one ever said that a little something sweet was a bad thing. Go to Sweet Things on a first date and you’re sure to impress whoever you're with. Grab a cup or a waffle cone of ice cream and take a stroll to the nearby Colonnade. It’s the perfect spot to gaze at the iconic pillars and red brick that we just can’t get enough of. Take a pause and sit on some of the steps or a bench and watch the day fade into night.

TAPS Lounge

On the first date it’s important that neither person feels too much pressure. The lounge at Taps is the perfect setting for a casual dinner. No reservations here, so grab a couple of chairs by the fire and talk over handmade cocktails and a cheese board. Taps doesn't scream date as loudly as Bistro or Haywood’s, so sit back, relax and let us know if there'll be a second date. Because we all know there will be. 

So whether you want a casual dinner at Taps or a picnic on the parkway, next time you go on a first date, try one of these spots and there will definitely be a second date (if you want there to be one).