I recently visited the city of London and although I knew the city was filled with beauty, I wasn't expecting much from the cuisine. The destination was rumored to have pretty mediocre food, which couldn't have been more inaccurate. The city was filled with crave-worthy options — food worth flying 6 hours for. I hunted for bites in Islington and traveled all the way to Central London for some more noms. Whether you are abroad, on a trip or just want to discover more about London's food culture, here are some of the best eats in London.

High Tea at The Milestone Hotel

Julie Levine

Location: 1 Kensington Ct, Kensington, London W8 5DL, UK

Hours: Tea time at 1:00pm, 3:00pm and 5:00pm daily

High Tea is a British tradition that dates back to as early as the 1700's. It used to be an afternoon meal for the working man, enjoyed on high stools or standing, hence the name high tea. Now, it's a classy tradition enjoyed by the finest of British citizens. 

When you enter the Milestone Hotel, you immediately feel like a member of the royal family. The intimate dining room is surrounded by bookcases, paintings and a warm fireplace. 

Their vast tea menu makes it impossible to choose just one. An array of delicate finger sandwiches and a delicious selection of pastries — including éclairs, tartlets, cupcakes and macaroons — are served on a quintessential 3-tier stand. Later, warm, freshly baked scones arrive, accompanied by Devonshire clotted cream and home-made preserves. Yes, it was as heavenly as it sounds.

Exploring at Camden Lock Market

Julie Levine

London is filled with food-and-craft markets and the Camden Lock Market is known as one of the greats. Not only does it have lots of cute shops to explore, but it is also home to some top-notch street food.

La Raclette

Julie Levine

Location: Stables Yard Chalk Farm Road London, NW1 8AH

Hours: 10am-6pm Monday-Sunday

One of the food vendors within the market is is La Raclette. They serve bubbling melted cheese on potatoes, pickled cucumbers and gooey grilled cheese sandwiches. When cheese is this drool-worthy, you just have to put it on everything.

Cereal Killer Cafe

Julie Levine

Location: Mezz 2, Camden Stable Market, Chalk farm road, London, N16 7UY

Hours: 9:30am-7pm

Another highlight includes the Cereal Killer Cafe, an 80 and 90s themed cafe dedicated to everyone's childhood breakfast favorite. This unique cafe was created by two hungover guys craving some sugary cereal in 2007. Their idea became a must-go retro spot with locations in London, Kuwait and Dubai. They offer every cereal, milk and topping combination you could imagine. Plus, be sure to check out their loaded hot cocoa and "maltshakes." 

Turkish Food at Gallipoli Cafe/bistro

Julie Levine

Location: 102 Upper St, Upper Street, Islington, London N1 1QP

Hours: Monday to Thursday 11am- 11pm Saturday 9:30 am-12am Sundays 10am-11pm

One food London is known for is Indian food. What isn't as well-known is that there are loads of immigrants in London who run authentic Mediterranean and Turkish restaurants. I found out about this locale from my Turkish uber driver — a citizen of Turkey who lived in Islington.

The decor is Ottoman-themed with angling lamps and trinkets hanging from the ceiling. The walls were covered with collaged photos. And to top it all off, belly dancers are available for special events.

My family split "Meze", meaning appetizers. We devoured €€Baba Ghannuge, an eggplant dip traditionally served with pita, and Falafel. I had Harem — grilled chicken breast laid on toasted pita, topped with creamy yogurt, their secret recipe tomato sauce and a little butter.

Ramen at Wagamama

Julie Levine

Location: click to find the closest location

Hours: vary by location

There are loads of places in London to grab ramen and Wagamama is a classic. The company is dedicated to the environment and is a member of the Sustainable Restaurant Group. Each location uses cage-free eggs, green energy and leftovers to produce more energy.

After a rainy tour around central London, I sipped on their chicken ramen bowl. The menu does offer more than just ramen, though. They serve a variety of vegan options along with an assortment of Thai-style food and appetizers.

The brand gives a modern twist to traditional noodle bars and the setting was fresh and clean. Next time you're in London, be sure to visit Wagamama so you can perfect that noodle pull and make all your friends jealous.

Visit these locations in London for some deliciously-underrated grub.