Athens, Georgia is home to The University of Georgia Bulldogs, amazing boutique shopping, great night life, and some of the best and most affordable eats in the state. The idyllic town of Athens (captured by Lindsay Ferrier above) stole my heart (and stomach) during my spring break visit. The next time you find yourself in this quaint and vibrant city for a weekend, don't forget to check out some of the endless good food spots this town has to offer. Here are my top eats for the ultimate Athens food guide!

1. Taqueria Del Sol

Olivia Baker

As a taco fanatic myself, I find any excuse to seek out the best Mexican food in any city I travel to. Athens is no exception and y'all, this joint does NOT disappoint. With abundant outdoor seating and an endless supply of fresh chips, it's a fantastic way to enjoy the college town vibes on a nice day while chowing down on yummy tacos and burritos. My personal favorites are the Fried Chicken and Brisket tacos.

2. Transmetropolitan 

Olivia Baker

The Transmetropolitan, home to the best slice in Athens, is centrally located in downtown and a quick ride from Sanford Stadium. While here, I highly recommend trying The Hungry Sasquatch or a slice of the Margherita. If you're looking for a great appetizer, I suggest their house made spinach artichoke dip and toasted herb slices to start! One of the best things about this stop is that you can order by the slice, so feel free to mix and match.

3. Pauley's Crepe Bar 

Olivia Baker

If you're looking for a great place to hangout on game days and located in downtown Athens, Pauley's is a must when you visit the home of the Dawgs. This legendary spot is known for its savory crepes that will literally melt your heart. I highly recommend going for dinner and trying the Chicken Caesar crepe. For those with a sweet tooth, chow down on the Strawberry and Nutella dessert crepe!

4. Mama's Boy 

pastry, bread, dough, sweet, biscuits, scone, cake

The best brunch I have ever eaten was at Mama's Boy. The longer lines are definitely worth the experience. Biscuits, southern comfort, and plenty of bacon are enough reasons for me to wait in line for an outstanding brunch experience. If you find yourself in Athens the day after a Bulldog win, you must head over to this critically acclaimed brunch spot and try the Biscuits and Gravy or the Breakfast Taco Plate. Don't forget your appetite!

5. Heirloom Cafe and Fresh Market

Olivia Baker

Heirloom is a fresh twist on farm-to-table eating. This renovated garage offers a seasonal menu that sources local produce and ingredients to give visitors the best dining experience possible. On my last visit, I indulged and enjoyed a cup of the sweet onion soup to start and rounded out my meal with their breakfast sandwich and a side salad. I highly reccomend trying their breakfast sandwich with their housemade pimento cheese!

If you find yourself in Athens, Georgia for the weekend or for a football game, I hope you can find the time to enjoy all the local eats the town has to offer. With endless choices of restaurants to try, the ones above in the Athens food guide are an eclectic look into the personality and vibrant feels of The Classic City. Go Dawgs and good eats, y'all!