I have a hard time choosing a favorite season in the Bay Area, because, let’s be honest, you can never really go wrong with the weather here. But there are few better moments than walking outside to a perfect spring day. Cherry blossoms are popping, the weather is a perfect 65 degrees (not too hot, not too cold), and the smell of summer and no school is so close that everyone seems to be walking with a little more pep in their step.

This is why spring is the best time to get outside and enjoy some of the Bay Area’s clutch seasonal events. If you are looking for a fun activity (from festivals to farmer’s markets) to do on the upcoming weekends, please read on and spring on.

1. San Jose Greek Festival

Spring

Photo courtesy of sanjosegreekfestival.org

When

Friday, June 3rd (5:00 pm to 10:00 pm)

Saturday, June 4th (11:00 am to 10:00 pm)

Sunday, June 5th (11:00 am to 9:00 pm)

Where

Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, San Jose

Why

I love Greek festivals for a couple of reasons. 1) Greek culture is so warm and welcoming, they make everyone feel like family and 2) the food is out of this world.

There’s one trio of Greek food that I highly recommend. Start with a gyro (#SpoonTip: You might be saying it wrong), and add a side of Greek fries, which I have learned (by having a BFF whose dad owns a Greek deli) that you NEVER call them jojo’s unless you want to feel the Greek wrath. Finish it all off with one of my all-time favorite desserts, loukoumades, better known as Greek honey balls, which are fried dough balls dipped in honey and sprinkled with walnuts and cinnamon, served warm (drool break).

Stop by the 2016 San Jose Greek Festival for a guaranteed great Greek time. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for seniors and students, and free to children under 12. A free admission pass can be found on their Facebook. Opa!

2. Off The Grid: Fort Mason Center

Spring

Photo courtesy of Off the Grid on flickr.com

When

Every Friday from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm

Where

Fort Mason Center, San Francisco

Why

This is where you will find all the hip and young San Franciscans on a Friday night. There are over 30 food trucks and vendors, beer and wine, cocktails, live music, and dancing. What else could you possibly ask for in one event? Some of my personal favorites are the Indian food, the taco truck, and the frozen custard.

You best be putting this place on your spring bucket list.

3. Off The Grid: Presidio Picnic

Spring

Photo courtesy of offthegrid.com

When

Every Sunday from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm

Where

The Presidio, San Francisco

Why

If you can’t make it to OTG in Fort Mason on Friday nights you have another chance to go to a huge OTG picnic on Sundays.

Bring your picnic blankets and sunglasses out to the huge Presidio lawn for awesome atmosphere and food from all different kinds of local cart, tents, and trucks. Some standouts include Nopolita (Mexican), Sugarfoot (Southern comfort), and Reveille Coffee.

4. 5th Annual Taco Festival of Innovation 

Spring

When

Saturday, May 28 from 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm

Where

History Park, San Jose

Why

Taco festival. No two words ever flowed so nicely, am I right?

This is a day full of taco competitions between 30 of the best and local Bay Area taco trucks. All taco plates are $6 or less and they even have dessert tacos. (#SpoonTip: Taco freaks must try out this taco cleanse). Tickets are $10, but I’d say it’s worth it.

The kicker of this event? They have live Lucha Libre (Mexican-style masked wrestling).

5. Mountain View Farmers’ Market

Spring

Photo courtesy of cafarmersmkts.com

When

Every Sunday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm

Where

Mountain View CalTrail Station

Why

This is the third largest farmers’ market in the state and is constantly being awarded prizes for its farmers’ market fabulousness. With over 80 vendors selling food, produce, and flowers this is the perfect weekend getaway. Just hop on the CalTrain and you’re there.

May is full of spring and early summer produce like cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and artichokes, and this market has them all.

#SpoonTip: This is the perfect recipe for all the fresh spring berries you buy!

6. Bay to Breakers

Spring

Photo by Molly Martin

When

Sunday, May 15 from 8:00am to sunset

Where

The course runs 7.46 miles through San Francisco. It starts on Main and Howard Streets (the Bay) and ends in the Ocean Beach parking lot (the Breakers).

Why

I have saved the best for last on this list of springtime activities. Bay to Breakers is a historic event in the Bay Area that brings all types of people together for one big party in the city. Some people actually run the 12k race, but most students go to walk around and see the crazy sites.

Grab your friends and your most crazy costumes, catch the earliest CalTrain you can (CalTrain offers special trains for Bay to Breakers, here is the schedule), and get ready for the best (and most exhausting) day ever.

Spring

GIF courtesy of giphy.com

Spring is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy the weather, seasonal food, and explore this great place we live in.