When I was younger, my parents always told me I would turn into a hot dog one day because all of my life I’ve been a hot dog fanatic. I even used to eat them for all three meals. Judge all you want, but growing up in Chicago definitely has to do with my craze for all things hot dogs.

The Chicago dog is topped off with yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sports peppers and a dash of celery salt. This concoction is known all around the world, and luckily living in Chicago, I have 24-hour access to the best Chicago dogs around. Don’t have time to make it up to the city? Check out these six places for delish Chicago dogs on the North Shore.

1. Portillo’s Hot Dogs

hot dogs

Photo courtesy of Portillo’s

Not only does Portillo’s have the absolute best dogs around, but they have other tasty meals too! I definitely recommend the chocolate cake shake and their Polish dog (basically a bratwurst). Fortunately for all you non-Chicagoans, Portillo’s has restaurants all around the US.

2. Michael’s Hot Dogs

hot dogs

Photo courtesy of amdurproductions.com

Michael’s has been serving the North Shore since 1977, and they aren’t quitting anytime soon. This historic landmark caters to all hot dog lovers, however, they have an array of different foods. If you’re not into hot dogs (even though you clearly are because you’re reading this article) I definitely recommend trying their wraps and salads. Don’t forget to grab a side of their unbeatable cheese fries while you’re there!

3. U Dawg U

hot dogs

Photo courtesy @carolinesissy on Instagram

I’ve been going to this place since I was four years old, and I surely haven’t stopped. U Dawg U has moved locations and when I found out they were still around, I went crazy. The owner is absolutely fabulous and they cater to your every need. This family-friendly restaurant also serves an array of other meals. I highly recommend putting their famous chilli on your dog; you won’t regret it.

4. Little Louie’s

hot dogs

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Little Louie’s has been around since 1967 and they are still making remarkable dogs, along with all the other selections they have. Not to mention their fries are delicious and perfectly salted. Little Louie’s is always in popular demand, yet they still cater to every customer in a reasonable amount of time. The long lines have nothing on Little Louie’s AND they serve Green River (which is ten times better than Sprite).

5. Superdawg

hot dogs

Photo courtesy of groupon.com

Superdawg serves a great dog, and the best part is, they have a drive-in. Whether you choose to order and eat in the car or go inside, you’re bound to have a memorable experience (it’s very Insta-worthy too, FYI).

6. Dear Frank’s

hot dogs

Photo courtesy of @bite_me_blog on Instagram

Dear Franks is yet another famous Chicago dog venue. The best part about Dear Franks? They have multiple locations on the North Shore! Whether you’re in Glenview or Deerfield, Dear Franks is the place to find your delicious dog. They’re also home to #dank waffle fries.

So next time you find yourself on the North Shore, make sure to stop by one of these scary good restaurants and get yourself a mean Chicago dog.