It’s the middle of the night and you just can’t wait any longer to sink your teeth into a juicy burger or a chocolate chip waffle. You may be surprised to know that there are restaurants in Lexington that are open 24 hours. After all, the "downtown" area consists of Main Street and Washington Street. How quaint. Although these six eateries may be the only six restaurants open 24 hours, they also happen to be the best. So without further adoo, here are the best six restaurants in Lex that are open 24 hours. 

IHOP

cake, sweet, candy, sprinkles, pastry, chocolate, cream, goody
Jayna Goldstein

The pancakes you know and love are available all 24 hours of the day. When loaded fries from coop just aren’t cutting it, how about a stack of pancakes with syrup and whipped cream from IHOP? Who doesn’t love the fluffy comfort of homemade pancakes at 4 o’clock in the morning? More importantly, when coop and everything else on campus is closed (and despair sets in), IHOP is not.

Sheetz

Wait they sell food here? Yes the secret is out. Not only is Sheetz a decent gas station, but it also sells some pretty bomb food. Not only is this establishment open 24 hours, but it also has decent food. Now you can grab gas and lunch all in one stop. Just an idea of what Sheetz has to offer: it’s like coop but much more. From a full coffee menu with specialty drinks to subs, sandwiches, burgers, chicken wings, and onion rings, Sheetz quite possibly has revolutionized drunk food. You can even get pizza or mac and cheese or both, beause why not eat all you can at 4 o’clock in the morning (at 4 a.m., calories don't exist). If you’re still skeptical, check out this article that says Sheetz is the best gas station chain.

Waffle House

If you aren’t a pancake person it’s fine, because another 24 hour breakfast option is Waffle House. Not only is Waffle House a go-to breakfast joint in Lexington, but for some reason it tastes so much better in the middle of the night. And if this isn’t enough to convince you, check out this article that explains why Waffle House is the best place on earth, besides Disney World of course.

Dairy Queen

The OG Dairy Queen in Lexington is actually open 24 hours and we could not be happier. Most people don’t go to DQ for the food, but this is beside the point because nothing makes us happier than to think about eating a DQ blizzard or chocolate dipped cone in the middle of the night.

7-Eleven

The gas station we all know and love is open 24 hours. While they may not have the most extensive menu to offer, they do have slurpees that we crave, especially in the middle of the night. In addition to drinks, 7-Eleven offers pizza, hot dogs, nachos, egg rolls and specials such as "5 for $3 wings" and "10 for $5 chicken nuggets." Wait we take it back, 7-Eleven has quite a bit of food to offer like pre-prepared meals that take minutes to heat up. Now you can feel fancy ordering cheese lasagna with meat sauce or spaghetti Bolognese at 4 a.m. in the morning, but don’t take our word for it. Try it yourself.

Wally World

candy, sweet, chocolate, Starburst
Caroline Ingalls

The one and only Walmart is open 24 hours and what more could you need than riding bikes around and eating sour patch kids in the middle of the night. This may not be your ideal sit-down restaurant, but it is the wonderland of snack foods and cold drinks. So grab your friends and your wallet and head to Walmart for a middle-of-the-night adventure.

There you have it W&L students. Next time you’re thinking of calling it a night think again, because there are six amazing establishments that are open all night and are ready to provide you some of the best food in town. Even if it isn’t the healthiest food in the world,M there is something to be said for eating a greasy mozzarella stick at 3 o’clock in the morning.