When you finally turn 21, there is a sense of pride in finally making it into the "club." There is also a new fascination with drinking well-made drinks casually with friends during the day. That is why Happy Hour becomes a sacred time of the day. The best parts of Happy Hour? It is more than just one hour and there are special menus and drinks typically. As a recent addition to the 21 Club, I was determined to find the best places in Lawrence, Kansas to meet up with friends. And I was looking for somewhere a little... classier than the typical college bar. So, I spent a few weeks getting tipsy at 4:30 p.m. and this list was born. 

1. The Jayhawker

liquor, alcohol, vodka, wine, cocktail, water, beer
Claire Rzonca

Time: Monday – Friday 4 pm to 6:30 pm

Price: $

Drink Strength: 3/5

The Eldridge hotel is home to The Jayhawker. It is a classy joint for sure, which is part of why it made the list. The hotel itself is a historical spot in Lawrence and a great place to meet with friends. There is a Happy Hour Menu with food from $3.95 to $5.95. The Truffle Fries were out of this world. The Breakfast at Tiffany's and Cosmopolitan martinis were picturesque and tasted just as good. The waiter was attentive, but the place was a little too quiet. Maybe it was because I went to a Monday evening Happy Hour, but I was expecting a few more people than the eight that were there. It did make it easy to hold a conversation with my friends at least. It is definitely more lively on Thursday evenings when martinis are only $5. 

2. Merchants Pub & Plate

ice, tea, beer
Claire Rzonca

Time: Monday – Friday 4 pm to 6 pm

Price: $$

Drink Strength: 2/5

Merchants is another wonder of Lawrence. It is in an old bank on Massachusetts Street and couldn't be more unique. Much of the food is sourced locally which means you can feel reassured knowing your food is fresh (it has the best brussels sprouts). Happy Hour is everyday, and they even have specials Saturday and Sunday. I recommend the pineapple cider which was equally refreshing as it was sweet. All and all it was a great experience. 

3. The Bird Dog

coffee, beer
Claire Rzonca

Time: Monday – Friday 4 pm to 6:30 pm

Price: $

Drink Strength: 3/5

The Bird Dog made my list of the best Happy Hours because it is located conveniently at the end of campus and fantastic. After a long day of class it is an easy place to walk to and hangout with friends. The drinks are delicious and appetizers are half price during Happy Hour. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. I highly recommend The Bird Dog for larger groups wanting to do a Happy Hour. 

4. Slice of History

wine, coffee, beer
Claire Rzonca

Time: Monday – Friday 1 pm to 4 pm

Price: $

Drink strength: 2/5

Slice of History is a great place to hangout with your friends. There is a small patio area and an inside bar for when Kansas weather is too windy. The drink specials change daily, but everyday there are $1 slices of pizza. Happy Hour here is convenient and chill. It's a great time and beers are only $1 on Friday. Can't beat that!

5. Port Fonda

tea
Claire Rzonca

Overall rating: 9/10

Time: Monday – Friday 4 pm to 6:30 pm

Price: $$

Drink strength: 5/5

I had planned on driving myself home after, but let's just say an Uber was called and leave it at that. Port Fonda had a great atmosphere. It was a little older of a crowd, but that is what I was looking for. It was relaxed, casual and the food was fresh. My friend and I ordered the Mescal Paloma (top left) and Port Fonda Colada (top right) to start. We had the chips, grilled corn salsa, pico de gallo and guacamole. Next we went on to an Aquaverde Margarita and Mexico City Mule. The mule was refreshing and one of my favorite drinks that I have ever had the pleasure of sipping on. The drinks were each $10, but worth every cent. 

After long days of field research I have found that Happy Hour is truly a special time of day, no matter where you end up. I have also found that Lawrence is really a great town for finding new places to eat, drink and hang out with friends. Try out the places on this list, and you're sure to find the perfect place for you to Happy Hour on the regular.