I’m a coffee addict. A good old cup of joe, espresso, latte, cappuccino—you name it. There’s nothing I won’t do to find the right cup of coffee in the right place.

Coffee shops have two basic necessities: good java and good vibes. Major bonus points for menus full of tempting food items. Whether you're a college student or just looking for a new place to check out, here are my five favorite shops to go to in Colorado Springs.

1. Fifty Fifty Coffee House

Fifty Fifty is the headquarters of SwitchBack Coffee Roasters, so you can count on any of their drinks to be authentic. The pour-over coffee is the winner, but their other coffee items certainly don’t disappoint. When the munchies kick in, the avocado toast with Sriracha honey drizzle is a must. Other menu options include tacos, bagels, and gluten-free breakfast sandwiches.

Fifty Fifty is my go-to place for doing work. The interior is bright and open. On a warm day, the outdoor patio is perfect for reading. I could spend a whole day here. Fifty Fifty, you’ve won my heart

2. The Wild Goose Meeting House

Wild Goose is strong in every department. They also use SwitchBack Coffee beans, delivering a full and earthy flavor. The latte is the way to go here. I recommend it made with almond milk. It highlights the flavor of the espresso while still delivering that luscious, creamy foam.

You can’t go wrong with food here: enormous cinnamon rolls, grilled sandwiches with gooseberry relish, and quesadillas oozing with all sorts of good things.

It’s the warm vibe at Wild Goose that gets me every time. The walls are lined with books on books. When it’s warm, the front of the shop is completely open, giving you just the right amount of natural light and breeze. Come here during the day to chat with friends or finish up some last minute work. On weekends, live music makes Wild Goose the place to be.

3. STIR

I’ll just mention this: STIR makes homemade pie. Homemade. Pie. So many flavors. I’m not sure I can think of a better combination than pie and coffee. They also offer other baked goods and lunch items. On the coffee side, I recommend a latte to pair nicely with a slice (or two) of pie.

Located in an old garage, STIR is a great working space with lots of natural lights and plants. Since it’s not downtown, it’s also very calm and relaxed. They have art displays and live music on a regular basis. Come to STIR when you need some extra motivation (pie) to do that work. Or just come for the pie.

4. Story Coffee Co. 

coffee, milk, ice, espresso, milkshake, mocha, tea
Samantha Aronson

Story Coffee Co. is more of a coffee stop than a coffee shop, but make sure you stop here for the full story. In short, the owners set out to put their operation in a small but elegant space in Colorado Springs. They did so successfully. The shop has three high-top tables and a small patio. Surrounded by Acacia Park, this is the perfect place to relax on a nice day.

They’re also a multiroaster coffee shop, meaning they switch out their beans from different producers every few months. You can tell how much knowledge and character is put into their drinks. The iced honey vanilla latte is great for when you need a pick-me-up: sweet but not too sweet, and just the right amount of caffeine. For me, the Americano really hit the spot. 

Food options are limited, but do not disappoint: pumpkin bread, scones, and cinnamon rolls go fast. Get ‘em while they last. 

5. Jives Coffee Lounge

I came into Jives when I needed to crank out some work. They did not let me down. The cappuccino was a balance between nutty and sweet flavors. Besides different types of spiced coffee drinks, they have long list of good-lookin’ smoothies. 

Jives Coffee Lounge gives off the ultimate hangout vibe. The warm and spacious interior plus the natural light make it ideal for doing work or just relaxing. Extra plus: the park directly across the street is gorgeous on a sunny day. Extra-extra plus: Jives also does live music multiple times per week.

The only downside is that Jives doesn’t have a huge food assortment, just small snacks. But have no fear. The drinks make up for it 100%.

At the end of the day, Colorado Springs is not lacking in the coffee department. The list could go on and on, but these are my favorites. So next time you need some energy to get through those pages or just need a pick-me-up, check out these places. Your coffee is waiting for you.