I think we can all agree that there is nothing quite like biting into a fresh doughnut smothered in frosting and toppings galore. While Rhode Island is home to some unique food items, such as Del's Lemonade, coffee milk, and stuffies, it is also home to some of the best doughnut shops. I have to yet to eat a doughnut in another state that is better than one in little Rhody. Here are the top four Rhode Island doughnut shops with some of the best  I have ever had, in no particular order:

1. PVDonuts

79 Ives Street, Providence

PVDonuts has been a major hit ever since it opened a few months ago. There is usually a line out the door, but it moves quickly and the donuts are completely worth it. These babies usually sell out before the shop closes at 3pm, so the key is to get there early in the morning so that you still have all the flavors to choose from.

They change their menu monthly, so every time you visit there is usually a new flavor to try. They have unique flavors such as cereal milk, rosemary brown butter, and chamomile yogurt honeycomb. 

2. Knead Doughnuts 

32 Custom House Street, Providence 

While this place is slightly less known than PVDonuts, their doughnuts are just as good, if not better. Knead sticks to more classic flavors such as vanilla glazed, chocolate, and brown butter pecan. They have a variety of different types of doughnuts, including cake, brioche, and filled doughnuts, and fritters. 

I highly recommend the classic vanilla glazed and the raspberry fritter. If you time it just right, you might just get one of these fresh out of the oven, and they are for sure even better warm. It is best to go here on the weekends when parking is free, otherwise, it can be a bit of a challenge finding a spot. 

3. Allie's Donuts

3661 Quaker Lane, North Kingstown 

Allie's Donuts is a classic Rhode Island delicacy. These scrumptious doughnuts have been famous for as long as I can remember. It is your typical doughnut shop, selling the classics like chocolate frosted, glazed, and powdered. Perhaps their most iconic and popular flavor is the vanilla frosted with colored sprinkles.

People love to get these on their way to the beach or on a Sunday morning. Over the years, this place has grown in popularity, and now people come from out of state to wait in line for these amazing doughnuts. Allie's is also home to the donut cake, which is basically just a huge doughnut, and can be personalized into whatever shape you want.

4. 4corners Coffee

63 Airport Road, Warwick 

Ever had of a square doughnut? I know that I hadn't before this place opened. This shop has made the square doughnut their own, offering in a variety of unique flavors like coffee rocky road, Rocky Point cotton candy, and banana split. All of their doughnuts are fresh and delicious, and you cannot go wrong with whatever flavor you choose.

And not only do they sell coffee and doughnuts, but they also have an outstanding breakfast menu that is served all day.

If you are looking for a great doughnut, any of these places will do the trick. Each one is unique in its own way and has its own distinct flavor. Happy doughnut eating!