The only thing better than summer in Chicago is ice cream in Chicago. While we’re known for our beloved Chicago-style hot dogs and deep-dish pizza, ice cream is low-key one of the best summer foods in the city. From milkshakes to Italian ice to cones galore, you can find every frozen treat imaginable. College summers are longer, so take some time away from summer school, work, or your internship, and see how many of these places you can visit this summer.

1. Rainbow Cone

ice cream

Photo courtesy of Alex Stuart

The only thing better than photographing the rainbow is eating the rainbow. This is a Chicago favorite that can always be found at the Taste of Chicago and Lollapalooza.

2. Mario’s Italian Lemonade

ice cream

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Nothing screams summer more than fresh lemonade. Mario’s serves your favorite summer treat in a refreshing twist that will keep you coming back for more.

3. George’s Ice Cream & Sweets

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Every single ice cream flavor you have ever dreamed of can be found at George’s. They even have baked goods that pair perfectly with your ice cream cone.

4. Cone Gourmet Ice Cream

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

This Irish ice cream shop offers unique flavors such as bright blue Cookie Monster ice cream that’s worth a blue mouth. However, their most stand-out menu item is the Lucky Charms topping. You can top your favorite ice cream cone with pieces of the best childhood cereal.

5. Andy’s Frozen Custard

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Classic chocolate and vanilla custard with all the fun mix-ins one could possibly want. From concretes to malts to sundaes, Andy’s offers every possible way for you to enjoy your custard.

6. Amorino

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

This is the most Instagrammable ice cream in the city. Amorino offers a variety of gelato flavors for you to choose from. No matter what flavors you choose, you can’t go wrong. #EatingForTheInsta has never tasted so good.

7. Lickity Split

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

All Loyola students know that this is the place to get your ice cream fix when school starts. While their custard is amazing on their own, you have to try one of their concretes.

8. Annette’s Italian Ice

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

This Lincoln Park staple only opens their outdoor window in the summer, so don’t miss out. While it has all your childhood favorite ice creams flavors, the Italian ice is the real star here. No bad flavors can be found here.

9. Eataly

ice cream

Photo courtesy of Hope Williams

Nowhere else can you find the most authentic Italian gelato outside of Italy. Skip the Nutella bar and head straight for Eataly’s gelato this summer.

10. Margie’s Candies

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

This old-fashioned ice cream parlor offers delicious sundaes and ice cream classics. If you’re feeling brave, try the “World’s Largest Sundae.”

11. Jeni’s

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Jeni’s has expanded to being sold in many grocery stores, but nothing beats enjoying it fresh from the shop. Try one of their specialty treats like their ice cream cookie sandwiches.

12. Snow Dragon Shavery

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Their shaved ice macaron sandwiches are what dreams are made of. Don’t let summer end before you get to try one of these.

13. Pinkberry

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Always a big city staple, Pinkberry never fails to disappoint as a refreshing and healthy warm-weather treat. Their changing flavors allow you a slight variety throughout the summer.

14. Ghirardelli

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

This San Francisco chocolate company sells some of the best chocolate squares in the country, however their ice cream creations are just as good, if not better. Grab a cone or milkshake while shopping on Michigan Avenue or sit and enjoy a sundae by the river.

15. Smallcakes

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Tucked away to the left of the cupcakes is a tiny ice cream display in this cupcake shop. All their ice cream is homemade and the cookie sandwiches and cupcake shakes are the perfect combination of ice cream and your favorite baked goods.

16. Bobtail Ice Cream

ice cream

Photo courtesy of Maria N. on yelp.com

This homemade ice cream is a treat that can be savored all-year round. With shakes, floats, cones, and sundaes, you can enjoy your ice cream any way that you want it.

17. Sugar Shack

ice cream

Photo courtesy of Khalilah W. on yelp.com

Home to the famous funnel cake sundae, this is a must-stop for every ice cream fanatic. Whether you’re getting the sundae for the taste or the Instagram, it will not disappoint.

18. Dylan’s Candy Bar

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

This isn’t just the greatest candy store in the United States. Check out the cafe for fun, candy-themed ice cream and sundaes.

19. Sugar Factory

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Technically not in Chicago, but still worth the mention due to its proximity to the airport. Popularized by trendy celebs, the Sugar Factory delivers sundaes that are as Insta-worthy as the inside of the restaurant itself. If you’re trying to splurge, order the King Kong Sundae.

20. Black Dog Gelato

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

Black Dog offers some of the most unique gelato flavors in Chicago. If you’re feeling adventurous, this is the only gelato place to go.

21. Cold Storage

ice cream

Photo by Jordan Helms

The perfect spot for after dinner ice cream. The cool decor and big TVs make it an enjoyable spot for everyone, so don’t be intimidated by it’s sister restaurant next door, Swift & Sons.

#SpoonTip: Don’t be scared off by the eight scoop description. Order the Narwhal Sundae.