If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I LOVE trying new foods. When I started following a plant-based diet several years ago, I was afraid that my dietary restrictions would make it difficult for me to try new restaurants, especially in my new college town that I heard had some pretty great eats. Thankfully, that was not the case. St. Louis has proven to be a perfect location for those with adventurous tastes as well as those who simply enjoy good food, not matter what diet or lifestyle they are following. So without further ado, I hope you enjoy this list of the 10 best vegan restaurants in St. Louis according to yours truly.

1) Lulu's Local Eatery

Karly Wilson

Lulu's is definitely what I would consider to be one of the best vegan restaurants in St. Louis and makes the list of my top three favorite restaurants of all time! It is hands down my go-to place if I'm in need of some vegan comfort food (which is pretty much all the time). They offer a rotating seasonal menu that features local produce and products that align with their mission of sustainability. You can choose from a variety of bright and flavorful starters, sandwiches, and bowls that each contain comforting, yet unique and creative combinations. Some of my all-time favorites are the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, the Sushi Bowl (pictured above), and the Sweet Potato Falafel

2) Tree House

Karly Wilson

Tree House is also located on South Grand and offers a variety of globally inspired plant-based cuisines that feature a variety of simple, yet complex flavor profiles. Their modern atmosphere pairs perfectly with their thoughtfully constructed dishes. This restaurant is perfect for both casual brunches and special occasions.

3) Frida's 

Located in the heart of University City, Frida's is a "from scratch" vegetarian kitchen that focuses on serving food that makes you feel good. They have a variety of fresh salads, entrees, pizzas, and burgers that are all sourced from local farmers, which makes this place one of my favorite vegan restaurants in St. Louis.

4) Kitchen Kulture

Karly Wilson

First of all, let me just say I am OBSESSED with this place. Not only is the food amazing, but the owners are incredibly kind! It's honestly a little bit of a hidden gem due its location and carry-out style; however, it has quickly become one of my favorite places to grab a quick bite to eat. Although they aren't solely vegan, they have a variety of rotating plant-based options inspired by dishes from China, Korea, Thailand, Japan, and Vietnam. My all-time favorite is the Autumn Apple Salad which has crispy Napa cabbage and apples, spicy cashews, golden raisins, and a creamy sesame vinaigrette!

5) The Vine

Karly Wilson

Now that I'm half way through this list, I'm realizing that all of these restaurants are actually my favorite places to eat in St. Louis. The Vine is no exception. I've always been a big fan of Mediterranean food, especially their amazing dips like hummus and baba ganoush, which I could live off of for the rest of my life.

Karly Wilson

The Vine is a traditional Lebanese restaurant that has perfected the authentic flavors of Mediterranean cuisine. Besides their traditional menu, they also offer a full range of vegan options like falafel, lentil soup, baked eggplant (one of my personal favorites), batata harra, and sautéed vegetables. One time during my freshman year of college, my best friends and I went here for dinner and ended up ordering a whole other round of food to go because we loved it so much. We were living off the leftovers for days and I couldn't have been happier!

6) Pizza Head

Also located on South Grand (clearly a spot famous for their food), Pizza Head is a funky all-vegetarian pizza joint serving up New York style pies and pizza by the slice. The atmosphere is vibrant and energetic which makes eating a large piece of vegan pizza even more enjoyable!

7) Confluence Kombucha

Confluence Kombucha is a gastroLAB located in The Grove that serves up a variety of unique and delicious vegan options, as well as house-made kombucha on tap. The dishes always leave you feeling light and refreshed. Some of my favorites include the Thai Green Curry Soup and the Beet Mousse

8) Vicia

Karly Wilson

Vicia is a restaurant in University City that focuses on vegetable-forward cuisine through a rotating tasting menu. Although they are not a solely vegan/vegetarian restaurant, they offer several options with each rotation that perfectly showcase the seasonal produce they receive. In the picture above you will see the Sweet Potato Soup made with charred vegetable mole, popcorn powder, and curry, as well as the Kale Salad composed of kale, cabbage, Asian pears, gala apples, and a pickled vinaigrette.

Karly Wilson

The drink above is a Chamomile Ginger Spritz, which was very bright and refreshing. The restaurant is also super aesthetically pleasing which added to the entire experience. If you're interested, I would 10/10 recommend trying to out!

9) Small Batch

Small Batch is a Midtown restaurant that offers a vegetable-centered menu inspired by both local and global cuisines. Almost all their dishes can be made vegan and gluten free; however, many already are. You can never go wrong with brunch at Small Batch, one of the best vegan restaurants in St. Louis. 

10) Fresh Gatherings Café

Fresh Gatherings is located on Saint Louis University's Medical Campus and is certainly a hidden gem. Every day they offer a rotating lunch item (always with a vegan option), as well as breakfast, soup, salads, bakery items, and a full service coffee bar. Each menu item highlights produce from surrounding farms so you know you are getting the best quality possible. Some local favorites include the Hummus Bowl, Buffalo Cauliflower Bowl, and the Taco Trio.

As you can see from this very short list, there are a ton of vegan options in the St. Louis area. Hopefully you found some restaurants in this article to add to your bucket list, I know I have!