Let’s face it, as broke college students we rarely get the chance to stray away from our dining halls. So when your parents, or even your roommate’s parents, come to visit it’s a safe bet that you are going to get a nice meal out.

Check out our top picks on where to take them:

Black Cat Bistro

dinner

Photo courtesy of blackcatbistroel.com

My family and I found this gem during my college orientation and ever since then it’s become the place we always go to. One of the best parts about Black Cat is their creative and delicious seasonal menu.

Black Cat serves everything from burgers to escargot, so there’s always something for everyone. This restaurant also offers a fun dinner atmosphere and features local live bands.

Hop Cat

dinner

Photo courtesy of hopcat.com

Hop Cat is a local favorite in East Lansing, but if you’re under 21 like me you are unable to enter without an adult. When your parents come to visit they become your entrance ticket to Hop Cat so you too can enjoy their award-winning “Crack Fries“.

Hop Cat will also be a hit with your parents with the fact that it boasts 100 craft beers on tap.

Sansu Sushi

dinner

Photo Courtesy of sansu-sushi.com

What’s not to love about sushi and tempura-fried everything? This Japanese fusion destination serves up some of the best Asian cuisine that East Lansing has to offer.

From award-winning sushi and sashimi to chicken teriyaki and tempura, Sansu’s menu offers something fresh and delicious for every member of your family.

The State Room

dinner

Photo courtesy of kelloggcenter.com

Located inside the Kellogg Center, The State Room is definitely the most upscale restaurant in East Lansing. It also features a seasonal menu so you can always get something different and delicious every time you visit.

If you’re anything like me and always looking for a good steak, The State Room is the place to go. Not only can you get a 4-star dinner here, but you can also hit up The State Room if you and your family are wanting a great brunch.