Let's be honest. Are you satisfied with an ice-cream-free summer? People often associate ice-cream with dairy and high-calories with all the cream and sugar. Then, we find Sweet Nothings. As they put it, they are frozen goodness or “eat your smoothies.” It is dairy-free, additive-free, sugar-free, purely organic, and vegan-friendly (See the ingredients below). They choose bananas as the base, with cashew butter for extra creaminess and dates for sweetness. As healthy as it sounds, the taste is still our first priority. After all, desserts are for happiness.  

Emily ZiXin Xing

Before we start our review, we'd love to thanks Sweet Nothings for their free samples (Trust us, we will be 100% honest )! We tried all five of their flavors to give a first-hand review.

The package itself is a "Wow" factor. It simple. It is modern. It is appealing. With the guard of two ice blocks, all the ice creams are perfectly intact and cold. 

Emily ZiXin Xing
Julie Zhang

Without Further Due! Let's Dive In!

Strawberry

90 kcal/serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

This is our first taste of Sweet Nothings! We can tell from the color of the ice cream, that it is not the artificial-type-of-strawberry-flavor color you would normally get. It is a natural berry color. We are surprised by how this ice cream tastes banana-ish. Then we checked out its ingredients. Now it makes sense. Sweet Nothings is trying to substitute cream with banana. We agree that this flavor tastes more like a strawberry and banana smoothie.

Coffee

80 kcal/serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

When we open the lid, we saw a fluffy and light texture. The taste of coffee is rich enough to coat your palates right away. Then it finishes up with a pinch of sweetness from the dates and bananas. The chia and flax seeds give your teeth something to chew on. As a coffee lover, I think it is a bit too sweet but the right amount for dessert time. My snack-lover friend rated this as her favorite.

Chocolate

110 kcal/ serve

Julie Zhang

Chocolate is a seek-comfy flavor for us. It resembles traditional ice cream with its dense and creamy texture. When we scooped it, we saw a classic ice cream feature that indicated the balanced air content.

Emily ZiXin Xing

It is chocolatey, mainly the cocoa power, but it misses some of the smoothness, and richness from the cocoa butter. Some chocolate chunks will do the trick. 

Peanut butter

110 kcal/serve

Julie Zhang

Although we promise 100% honesty, this flavor is biased. My friend and I are 100% peanut butter lovers (eating-plain-from-a-jaw kind)!!!! So when we say this is our favorite, you know it is our favorite. The peanut butter definitely adds a certain richness to it. It generally has higher water content and tastes like peanut-butter flavor slush but surprisingly in a refreshing way.

Blueberry & Beet

90 kcal/serve

Emily ZiXin Xing

Blueberry and beet is an unusual combination for us. We didn't know what to expect. I would say the blueberry flavor is pretty mediocre. It tastes very banana heavy and slushy but we also barely taste the blueberry, not to mention beet.

Take-Home Message:

We can definitely taste the healthy message inside those little cups. For banana lovers, we recommend trying this out. For those who want to quench crave and enjoy something sweet, this could be your option. But if you're a traditional ice cream lover, this may not be your favorite. But nevertheless, don't knock this brand until you try it for yourself.

Check out their website or Erewhon, where Sweet Nothings is available.