While the West Village is filled with great restaurants, it is somewhat lacking in the dessert department. After moving into the space that formerly housed Doughboy Bake Shop, the owners of Sweet Corner Bakeshop are trying to change that. Although it is best known for its elaborate birthday and wedding cakes, this new bakery also offers a great selection of fresh baked pastries and desserts.

Sweet Corner Bakeshop

Photo by Dylan Stilin

There will likely never be a consensus as to which chocolate chip cookie is the best in New York, but Sweet Corner Bakeshop is confident that their’s is a serious contender. In fact, the sign out front claims that the bakery is home to “the best sea salt chocolate chip cookie in New York.” While that is a big claim, it might not be too far from the truth. Made with premium Belgian chocolate and sea salt that is “picked with tweezers,” these cookies are sure to bring back great childhood memories.

Sweet Corner Bakeshop

Photo by Dylan Stilin

Unlike other bakeries, Sweet Corner riffs on classics rather than trying to invent anything new. The carrot cake ($4 for a large slice), for instance, is made as a bundt cake – rather than the typical layers – and is topped with a light glaze and chopped walnuts. Also highly recommended is the raspberry chocolate chip banana bread, which at $3.50 is a steal considering the size of the slices. This take on traditional banana bread has a great consistency and gets a boost of flavor from the chocolate chips and raspberries. Since the slices are rather large, this is a great treat to share – possibly over a cup of coffee or tea from the shop’s extensive drink menu.

Sweet Corner Bakeshop

Photo by Dylan Stilin

In addition to several other cake and cookie options – as well as croissants and delicious blueberry muffins – Sweet Corner also offers several chilled desserts. These range from eclairs and individual servings of chocolate mousse to a delicious vanilla cake with a chocolate mousse filling and creamy milk chocolate frosting.

With a great variety of options, including hits such as the carrot cake and banana bread, this shop is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Whether for a quick pick-me-up or to weigh in the shop’s big cookie claims, make sure to stop by on your next visit to the West Village.

Sweet Corner Bakeshop

Photo by Dylan Stilin

cheap

Location: 535 Hudson St (at Charles)
Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri: 8am to 8pm, Sat: 8am to 9pm, Sun: 8am to 8pm